Chapter 6

A few hours after eating, people started splitting up into different groups to speak of different things. Phil and Clint curled up together in a corner,  Thor and Loki had their own, rather loud argument about something, Bruce, Bucky and Natasha sat side by side on one of the sofas, enjoying watching Tony try to lift Thor's hammer, too tipsy to care about the fact that they knew his attempts would be fruitless. Steve, Pepper and Sam enjoyed a glass of wine at the kitchen table, talking. Stiles watched the spectacle from his spot on the armchair in the corner of the living-room, when the elevator beeped and the doors opened. A young boy, probably around 14, heading straight for the kitchen.

"Hey everyone. Sorry I'm late. Ned and I were finishing up a science project." The boy got a bottle of juice from the fridge and gulped some down before going through the fridge again. "So this crazy thing happened on my way home. I'm walking down the street, right, and I see this guy running towards me with a baseball cap on and a handbag in his arms. I wait for him to pass me and I pull my mask on, so I'm running after this guy with my normal clothes on and my mask. And he looks back and sees me and get this. He starts screaming. Full on screaming. And I'm trying not to laugh but it's so hard. So I shoot him and tie him up by his feet and this guy starts crying and he's calling for his mummy. Anyways, after that I called the police and got the bag back to it's owner. It was so funny." Peter finally turned around with a cold slice of pizza in one hand. He was about to take a bite but stopped midway when he saw Stiles. "Oh! Er... Hi?" He set the slice of pizza down on a nearby plate and turned to Tony with a raised eyebrow, silently asking who their guests were.

"Peter." Tony strode over to where Stiles had stood up, panicking slightly. Who was this guy? A werewolf? He said he had hung up a full grown man by his feet and a lot of strength was needed to do that. He had to be supernatural. "This is Stiles. Stiles here is Phil's nephew. Stiles, this is Peter Parker."

"Is he a werewolf?." Stiles whispered not a discretely as he would have liked to be into Tony's ear. To Stiles confusion and shame, the people around him laughed. Great, they knew he was stupid and useless now and would soon want nothing to do with him. Stiles took a step back as if he had been slapped but of course, since he had the worst luck in the world, knocked the back of his knees on the sofa behind him and toppled over. The Avengers only laughed harder. With tears of shame and embarrassment threatening to stain Stiles red cheeks, he hurried out of the first doors he saw, not wanting to embarrass himself more by waiting for the elevator. He heard people calling out his name and clenched his fists to stop them from shaking. He heard the door handle being turned behind him but no one came though. The door seemed to have locked its self behind him. After searching for an exit and failing to find one, Stiles decided to climb in the vents, they probably lead to an exit.
He didn't know how long he crawled around for but after a while, he stopped and sat back against the cool metal. He brought his knees up to his chest and laid his head on them. He had to try and get out of the Avengers tower without being noticed and get away from everyone. He couldn't go back to the apartment for that's what everyone would expect of him. It would be best for everyone if he left and never came back. He may have been overreacting but honestly, Stiles didn't care. He wanted everyone to be safe and to not be rejected (again). If that meant he had to extract himself from society, then so be it. He was still trying to come up with a plan when he heard a slight shuffling sound up ahead. Stiles froze. If he moved, the person would be alerted of his presence. If he didn't, he had a chance of being caught. Stiles made a split second decision and held his breath, hoping the person would miss him completely and venture down one of the other vents. Obviously, with his lousy luck, Clint crawled up to him and sat down next to him on the other side of the vent. Stiles didn't bother to try and get away, he knew when a battle was lost.

"Penny for your thoughts?." Clint actually held out a penny to Stiles but he batted it away, causing the penny to fall on the floor, making a big clanking sound. "Sorry. " Clint said.