25

Michael

"She should be home by now, why hasn't Crystal called,"

"Mike,"

"What if it went wrong?"

"Mike," Ashton said, holding my shoulders, "She will be okay. Surgeries don't always end bang on time, or maybe Crystal is just flustered... you shouldn't be working,"

"It's fine, I just need to do my rounds,"

"I am coming with you then,"

"Ashton, go and do your work,"

"I am coming with you,"

He looped arms with me and began to do my rounds with me, cracking up jokes with people, and listening to what they had to say. He was definitely a people's person.

We got through my rounds and then I took a shower in the locker room so that I could focus on my family all night.

Ash had packed my bag for me and practically put my coat on for me, then slung his bag over his shoulder too and flipped off the light.

"Ash,"

"Mhm?"

"Thank you,"

"Everytime I have seen you today you've looked extremely nervous, and as your friend it is my duty to make things easy for you,"

"You don't have duties,"

"Yes I do,"

He took me to my car and literally opened the door for me, then gave me a tight hug and sent me on my way.

He made me chuckle sometimes, but I did appreciate him.

To my relief, Jasper's car was outside when I got back which meant they were home, so I went inside and left my bag by the door, heading upstairs.

Lauren laid in our bed asleep, her teddy one side of her and Crystal the other.

"Hey," she whispered, "Sorry I didn't call,"

"It's okay, how is she?"

"She's really good. The whole time she let them do everything they needed to do, and she's not had a bad reaction to the anaesthesia. She was pretty funny, but got a bit tired,"

"That's a relief,"

"Yeah, she was asking for you,"

I smiled and gently kissed Lauren's head, then kissed Crystal.

"Luke brought over some pasta earlier that Liz and Andy made for us, they must've heard. Could you heat that up for us please?"

"Yeah. Is everyone home?"

"They are. Nathan went to the doctors and got antibiotics by the way,"

"I hope we don't have everyone getting sick,"

I went through to Nathan's room and refilled his water for him, feeling his forehead; he sulked and took my hand, so I gave it a squeeze.

"This sucks,"

"Take painkillers too,"

"Okay,"

"Do you fancy some food?"

"No,"

"Have you eaten today?"

"No,"

"Then I would like you to try something, I can make soup, we are having pasta,"

"Soup, please,"

"Alright, you rest up, are you okay?"

He nodded so I went downstairs and put the pasta in to heat, quickly cooking him up some soup; I took it back upstairs and left him to watch the tv. He seemed content.