23

Poppy

I sat with my legs propped up infront of a fan, reading a new book while everyone played outside in the pool.

It sounded fun, but I didn't feel very comfortable in my body, so I didn't want to wear a swimming costume.

Dad had made me practice my handwriting because apparently I needed it to be good for the next school year, but I was still getting used to my hands again after them being all broken, and it was frustrating.

I quit, and read my book instead.

As I was reading, the doorbell rang, so I called for dad but he didn't hear. I was the only one inside, so I got my crutches and went over, opening it slowly.

"Mum?"

"Hey sweetheart! My hands are too full of shopping to open the door,"

"Oh. Okay... you scared me,"

"Sorry," she said, kissing my head as she went past, "How are you?"

"I'm okay,"

"What did you get up to?"

"I won monopoly, and then we ate lunch, and then I read while everyone went in the pool. Oh, and dad made me practice handwriting,"

"What an old man,"

"Huh?"

"Making you practice hand writing at the start of summer,"

"Oh. Yeah. Strawberries!"

I pulled over one of the packs and opened it, making mum laugh as she filled the cupboards up with some essentials. We went through lots of bread and butter, and sandwich fillings.

"Have you spoken to your friends today?"

"Ummmm, no. They have all messaged on the group chat though,"

"Why don't you join in?"

"Am I allowed?"

"Of course you're allowed. See if they want to come over tomorrow, I don't mind hosting a few extra people. I'll be home,"

"Really?"

"Yep. I'm just gonna check on Payton, please could you keep an ear out for Ashton? He should be here soon,"

I went back to the living room and sat down, deciding to plait my hair because I was so hot. I split it into two and found two bobbles- they were always lying round our house- then plait both sides.

Just as I picked my book up again, the door opened and Ashton walked in, smiling when he saw me.

"Hello, just dropping bits off,"

"Hi,"

"How are you doing? Are you enjoying summer?"

"Yes,"

"Good. Are you seeing your friends again?"

"Mum said I can have them round tomorrow but I am not sure how to be a host, and I am worried they will think the house is weird, or that having so many siblings is weird,"

"You don't need to be a host, you just need to have fun! However, you are welcome to use my house if you want it to just be you guys... I can ask your mum if that's okay,"

"I don't like your house,"

"We moved,"

"I don't wanna,"

"That's okay! Your mum will help them with drinks and lunch. I think it will be good to have them over,"

He unpacked ice lollies into the freezer and then put the medicine on the side, writing a note for someone.