21

Poppy

"Wow... I am sorry Poppy,"

I sat the other side of the sofa to Alfie- I had moved further away as I told the story- looking at my friends on the tv.

"It's okay,"

"Thank you for trusting us," Kalani said, "We will be mindful of everything you said,"

"It's okay if you don't want to be my friend anymore,"

"We want to be your friends," Maaz said, "We will see each other over summer yeah?"

"I'm having surgery soon,"

"We can visit you!"

"You would do that?"

"Yeah,"

I held the cover up to my nose and chewed my lip, taking a deep breath. It was a lot to tell people, and a lot for them to take it- they had been really patient and nice.

"We'll let you go home now, it's probably been a long day. See you soon, okay?"

"Okay,"

As soon as Alfie ended the call, I burst into tears.

"Come here,"

When I didn't move, Alfie shuffled towards me, but I flinched and leant away so he backed off a little.

"I think you are really brave for telling us everything, and just know that this doesn't change anything to us. You're still Poppy and we love you for being Poppy,"

"I don't normally tell people these things but I felt like I should because you guys have shown me we can be friends,"

"We appreciate you trusting us, and we are always here to listen whenever you need anyone to talk to,"

Gently, he put his hand on mine and held it- it was really soft.

"Is there anything you wanna know about me? I feel like I know so much now and you don't know anything,"

"I know you like football, and dark blue, and maths which is kind of weird,"

"I do," he laughed, "See I find liking English weird,"

"What!"

"Mhm. You can't complain or that's double standards,"

I huffed and shuffled towards him, dropping my head onto his shoulder. I liked to be hugged by Alfie because he made me feel safe.

"I feel stupid now I told you everything,"

"You're not stupid. I am really grateful that you told us... I can't believe my dad was the one who found your location, though,"

"I didn't see him,"

"He didn't go. It was far outta here,"

"Yeah, they drove me in an ambulance to here and treated me on the way, then dad picked me up the next morning. That was such an overwhelming time,"

"I can imagine,"

"And Bailey said I look like my dad which hurts,"

"Well I don't know what he looks like but I do know that you're very pretty, and that no one else knows who your dad is either,"

"Thank you,"

We looked up as dad came down, giving us a smile.

"Shall we get going? I think tea will be ready,"

"Okay,"

"You can come to Alfie's whenever, just let me know," he said, "Or any of your friends,"