4

Poppy

"May I go out for lunch?"

"Of course! Did you make friends in art?"

"I sat with some girls so I am going to try and eat with them,"

"Brilliant. If you can't find them then I will be in here all lunch,"

I nodded and put my backpack on, taking myself out to the courtyard where most people ate.

It didn't take long to find them because they were all loud and had big hand bags, so I went over and smiled.

"May I eat with you guys?"

They didn't hear me- it was pretty chaotic out here- so I cleared my throat and said it louder.

"May I sit here?"

"Sorry, there's no space,"

"Yes there is," I said, putting my bag down on the chair, "I can sit there,"

"My bag is gonna go there," Kayleigh said, coming behind me; she kicked my bag off the seat which created a loud bang, then sat down.

"Please can you pick it up? I can't,"

"This weirdo won't leave us alone!"

"Oh shut up,"

I turned to see Nathan, and another boy, both going to pick up my bag. Nathan snatched it first and looked the other boy up and down, before passing my bag back to me.

"Leave her alone," the other boy said.

"She's the one wanting to sit with us!"

"A simple no would've done. Poppy, sit with us,"

"If this is some kind of joke don't even bother," Nathan said, pushing him back slightly; I hadn't seen him get angry before.

"It's not? What's your problem man?"

"Nathan you're so hot when you're mad," Kayleigh sighed.

"Ew," I said, "Nathan, I am okay. I will go and sit with... um?"

"Alfie,"

"Alfie," I smiled, "I'm okay,"

"How come you know Nathan?" Kayleigh asked, putting her hand on his arm which he swiftly pulled away from.

"He is my brother,"

"Oh... well, we could maybe scoot along and fit you on,"

"No thank you. I don't want other people to think I am rude,"

Nathan snorted and pat my back, then left, so I followed Alfie round the corner to a different table.

"I might just go back to the office,"

"Nah, join us! Don't let them win,"

"I'm so stupid for trying to sit with them, and you. I'm not cool,"

"You think I'm cool?" he grinned, making me blush, "I'm Alfie, you were just in my art,"

"I know your name,"

"Are you okay?"

He helped me sit down and then got my lunch out for me, my box dented.

"Alfie, who the fuck is this?"

"She looks scared to death,"

"This is Poppy. Poppy, this is Kalani and Elliot. They're twins,"

"Two of my siblings are twins,"

They both had blonde hair, bright blue eyes and had a similar built to Nathan, but they weren't identical. Plus, Kalani wore a bright blue top and Elliot was in all black, both having skateboards with them.

Alfie had darker hair, eyes, and skin, but was very tall and muscular as well. He had no skateboard, but he probably knew how if the other two did. I liked his shoes- they were nike trainers like mine- and he had a very welcoming vibe.

"Where is Maaz?"

"I'm here- Alfie who the fuck is this?"

"You guys could've been a bit nicer," he grumbled, "This is Poppy, she is in my art class and Kayleigh was being a bitch, so I have invited her to eat lunch with us,"

"I can go back,"

"Nonsense, sorry, it's just not often a girl sits with us,"

"It's not ever," Kalani said, "Are you okay? Sorry you had to deal with them, here, I'll try and fix your lunchbox,"

He took everything out and began to try and remove the dint, so I looked over my food and no where else.

"Your lunch looks so good, mine looks shit,"

"My dad packed it,"

"I wish mine did that," Alfie laughed, "I guess with crutches it's hard to do that yourself,"

"He makes us all lunch to make sure we all eat, theres 6 of us to go to school,"

"You're a Clifford, aren't you?" Maaz gasped, "Nathan and Bailey's sister?

"Yeah,"

"My sister is Bailey's friend,"

"Oh,"

"Fixed,"

Kalani passed my box back and I filled it again, biting my finger nails. I really wanted to go back inside because it wasn't like I would be friends with these guys. They'd never hang out with me and I knew it was a one time thing.

"Thank you,"

"We don't bite, you know? You look scared shitless,"

"You guys swear a lot,"

"Oh, sorry. We can tone it down,"

"You don't have to change for me, I will go back inside,"

"Please stay," Alfie sulked, "Pretty please?"

I paused, trying to weigh it up in my head.

If I left then I would never know if they were actually nice, and wanted to be friends. We could do fun things together like my siblings did with their friends, and I could sit with them in class.

But they might also be really mean. They knew nothing about me, so why would they even want me sitting here?

"Damn if it's this hard of a decision we need to reconsider our life choices," Elliot teased.

"No- sorry... I've just never had a friend and I don't know how it works,"

"You've never had a friend?"

"I was only adopted a few months ago and... I don't wanna talk about it, actually,"

"That's okay," Maaz said, "I guess the way we work is hanging out, playing video games, skating, doing football,"

"I like football, I know all the teams, and the people, my brother Elijah taught me,"

"Then you will fit right in,"