22: Twenty-Two Reasons to Apologise

Wednesday: December 22nd, 2015

A flurry of texts pinging my phone awoke me on the twenty-second day of Christmas. As my eyes fluttered open, a grimace spreading across my face as I noticed it was only 6am, I grabbed my phone to check what the commotion was about.

Jojo: Omg.

Jojo: Cory just moved back in with the twins.

Ria: Your brother moved back in? Why?

Jojo: Seems he and his gf had a fight.

Jojo: A really big one.

Jojo: So big that I think they've broken up...

Ria: So now you have a full house?

Jojo: Basically! But how do I comfort him?

Ria: How distressed is he?

Me: Jojo, you really need to learn to send your messages in one bigger message.

Jojo: Morning Zazu!

Ria: Morning Zara.

Me: Yeah... morning... evening?

Jojo: Anyway, he seems quite upset. Like he came home with the kids in tow, asked mum to watch them, then went straight to the kitchen to pour himself a drink.

Me: An alcoholic one?

Jojo: Yup.

Me: Sheesh...

We went on for a while about how Jojo could best support her brother, suggesting all sorts of gestures she should do to help him. The back and forth between us went on for hours until the sun streamed through the cracks in my curtains, lighting up my room. But then, once we had given Jojo a good enough plan, the conversation turned on me.

Ria: So Zara... how's things with that Jasper boy?

Jojo: Yeah, have you spoken to him since the competition ended?

Me: I told you. We aren't seeing each other again while I'm here. It will make everything too complicated.

Jojo: And he hasn't even tried contacting you?

Me: No.

Me: I made it pretty clear what I want and that was for everything to end at the competition. He's respecting that.

Ria: Are you sure you won't regret this?

Me: Regret what exactly?