23. Ripple

-please please read the note at the end-

ஜீ

The soft sounds of pen scratching on paper bounces off the walls of the room. The man seated behind the large mahogany table silently hums to the pleasant tune of the record being played as he goes through a small pile of documents on his table.

Muffled sounds of hard and steady footsteps is heard before they stop behind the large wooden doors of the room. Without warning, it bursts open with a middle aged man coming through.

"Alistair." The man says in a stern manner. The man seated behind the table stands up and bows before smiling,

"Father, sister's fine, she's only resting. You don't need to worry too much, I've taken care of her." Alistair says as the expression on the middle aged man's face softens considerably.

"What happened, Alistair? (Y/N) rarely visits the family home and you suddenly tell me she's 'resting' in her room here ?" Dornez huffs before sitting down on a sofa. He pushes back the stray strands of hair off of his face as he sinks into the comfort of the sofa.

"She.. seems like she worked herself a little too much. She only collapsed because of exhaustion, father. I called a doctor to check on her as well, there's nothing to worry about." A small but reassuring smile comes across Alistair's lips as he looks at the man seated on the sofa. Dornez sighs deeply as he leans back against the sofa, tipping his head back slightly.

"It's been a while but I still don't want her running that place. It's.. I still don't think that it's best for her and I don't want her to do things she doesn't want to." He says, sighing once again and turns his head, looking outside the large windows of the office.

The cold winter breeze dances outside against the dead and lifeless branches of the trees, blowing away what little was left of the once lush and green branches. The dim sunlight cascading in from the window falls onto the man's face, enveloping him in gentle and dull warmth. Alistair follows his father's line of sight, looking outside the window as well,

"I understand, father. But saying that would be denying all the work and effort (Y/N)'s been putting into it. She's been giving things her best while running the bar, if she didn't inherently want to run the establishment, I doubt she would've worked hard as she's been working. It would be best to support what she does instead, thinking about her feelings as well." Alistair says, eyebrows slightly furrowed as he turns to look back at Goethe Dornez.

Dornez looks at his son, eyes indecipherable as a few strands of his dark blue hair slowly falls on his face again. He then lets out a small laugh as a warm smile plays on his lips.

"I understand, Alistair. Thank you." He says, letting out a small chuckle and looking at the black haired man in front of him.

"You've always had a soft spot for (Y/N), haven't you?"

Alistair's eyebrows raise slightly as a light shade of pink starts to cover his ear.

"I- Uh- No, i-its uhm...." He sputters as he looks away, embarrassed. Dornez laughs loudly as he looks at the man in front of him.

"Alistair, yo-" The man is interrupted by the door of the office opening abruptly.

A man in a black suit rushes in and looks at Alistair, slight panic lacing his face.

"MASTER, THE-" The man then notices the middle aged man on the couch, looking at him with a sharp glare. The man in the suit lets out a small shriek of surprise as he hurriedly bows on the ground.