12

A Crack in the Wall of Secrets.

"Ughhh there's no end to this.." Tanizaki groans while slumping down on his desk which was covered by various sheets of paper.
A black haired girl sighs along with him before leaning against him.

"Exactly. We've been doing this for almost a week now and we still barely have anything." The black haired girl, Naomi, whines.
Atsushi nods while crossing his arms as his eyebrows furrow, a troubled look coming across his face.

"Someone covered up everything that would possibly lead to this case. No loose ends." Atsushi sighs and looks over the files on his table.

-

It was evening already. The Detective Agency had spent yet another exhausting day searching for leads but turning up with nothing. Saying that everyone was frustrated would be an understatement. They were all at their wits end. The moment they found something that could remotely lead to the fire at the Hyakkurin Orphanage or the mysterious experiments, they would just come across a dead end.

Dazai yawns while walking the streets lit with street lamps. The twinkling lights of the city illuminated his face as he dug his hands into the pockets of his coat. He grins happily as he turns towards the lane which lead to 'Esdeath' before he stops in his tracks as his phone rings.

"Hello?~"

"Dazai. I found somethings that might pique your interest. If you are actually interested then you know where to meet me."
The caller says before abruptly ending the call.
Dazai stares at his cell phone for moment before walking the other direction, his before carefree grin now replaced with a monotone yet serious expression.
-

"You're so mean, Ango~ You called me to Lupin and here you are arriving so late~" Dazai coos while smiling at the familiar male entering the bar. The male adjusts his glasses with his middle finger before taking a seat next to Dazai.

"I'm afraid I'm a busy individual." Ango says monotonously while ordering a drink and placing his briefcase on his lap.

"Ahh~ there you go acting all cool again~" Dazai cheerily laughs before looking at the man with a much more serious smile.

"So? What did you find?" He says while looking at Ango, placing his cheek against the palm of his hand while leaning against the bar counter.

Ango sighs before answering,
"You know, I still think you shouldn't poke your head into problematic issues."

"Oh? Do you think I won't be able to handle this situation, Ango?" Dazai smiles while looking at the man sitting beside him.

"I know better than that." Ango chuckles as he silently acknowledges Dazai.
"I'm pretty sure you are aware of the considerably illicit 'experiments' on Abilities that were conducted several years back?" Hearing this Dazai nods in affirmation, ushering Ango to continue.

"Although there are no records that prove that the two leading scientists; a husband and wife; had an offspring , I am certain that they had a child on which they performed their final experiments. The child, after the death of it's parents, was sent to the Hyakkurin Orphanage. But unfortunately the orphanage, being burnt to crisp, left behind no records or documents which could shed light onto the situation." Ango says and Dazai hums.

"I'm bummed to tell you this but I know that part of the information already. I hope that's not all you've got?" Dazai grins and Ango huffs.

"Don't underestimate me." He says sharply. Hearing this Dazai grins wider and gestures Ango to continue.

"The child is most likely alive. If it was a successful experiment, then there is no way that a fire of that level could kill it. So, if the information from little investigation I did is indeed correct, then it would be highly likely that the child would be around its late 10s to early 20s. Unless it is supported by a financially well off party, it is most likely to be in the lower workforce or pick pocketing and living in the streets. I find those both to be very likely." Ango finishes before lifting up his glass of cold beer and sipping it.

"Still in the city?" Dazai asks and Ango shifts his gaze to the brunette sitting next to him.

"Most likely."

Hearing this, a barrage of questions and possibilities came across in Dazai's mind. He frowns while also picking his own glass of alcohol slightly and staring at the melting ball of ice inside of it.

A silence comes over the two before Ango finally breaks it.

"Dazai, I don't know what you're up to but, don't fly too high, your wings might just end up melting." He says sharply before standing up, the chair he was sitting on clattering as it's pushed back.

"Even if it melts, I might just have someone to catch me when I fall back to the ground." He says silently, mostly to his self, with a hint of happiness. Ango stops briefly as he walks towards the exit and glances at his old friend before turning back around and exiting the bar without a word.

-

eyyyyy thanks for reading this far!
Xoxo