11. Tranquil

(Y/N) froze. The hand with which she had been wiping a glass came to a halt. She looked at Dazai with indecipherable eyes which flashed a hint of fear but it quickly went away, so quick that a normal person couldn't have possibly noticed it.

Directly standing under the warm lights of the bar, (Y/N) looked as if she was glowing, her amethyst colored eyes glistening under the light casting from above her.

There was a moment of silence before she broke out into a charming smile and looked at the man in front of her.

"What do you mean Dazai-san? If you mean my hands then yes, my hands are not exactly what a 'regular' young lady's hands are supposed to look like." She says while placing the glass which she had in her hand down on the counter.

Dazai knew that the girl in front of him was guarded and wouldn't answer his question easily. Still, he pressed on,

"Why don't you live with the main family?" He asks, genuine curiosity lacing his voice.

The girl in front of him sighs. There were no customers in the bar so (Y/N) walks over to the front door before flipping over the sign which said ' O P E N  '.
She walks back over to the man before sitting down on one of the bar chairs, directly in front of Dazai but at the same time with a considerable distance between them.

"I am forever indebted to father. He picked up a stray dog like me to become the heir to the Goethe family. But a stray like me to take over the family was undoubtedly a stupid idea. I lived with the main family for around 9 years, I believe. On the 3rd year that I had been living with them, mother and father adopted another child. Unlike me the child was of a considerably high birth but was orphaned. I saw this as an opportunity for me to break away from succeeding the family. So, I requested father and mother to allow me to live away from the main house in the city. Father and mother were both reluctant but in the end agreed and let me live here, as well as own the bar which had been newly opened by the family once I was old enough." (Y/N) says, carefully choosing her words.

Her face looked as calm as the sea before a storm. Dazai, who was intently listening shifted his gaze to look at the girl. She was staring back at him with glass-like clear eyes and a small smile formed on her face.

"Did this answer your question, Dazai-san?"

Dazai was honestly quite shocked. He didn't expect (Y/N) to answer in such a manner. It was as if the girl in front of him was a different person than the one he had been seeing before. Did she reflect on various things when she shut herself in her home for a week? Or had she always been this way?

"You still haven't told me how the glass shattered that day, buuuut~-" Dazai said cheerily while standing up.
"-I guess I'll get to that some other day. You must be exhausted from the long day so you should get some rest." Dazai smiles at (Y/N) before walking towards the front door.

"Thank you for your concern. I hope you have a good night." (Y/N) says in a cold and almost robotic manner. Something in the way she said it made Dazai instantly whip back around to look at the girl.

(Y/N) had her usual soft expression but something in her eyes made Dazai almost break out into a cold sweat. Her usual amethyst eyes which were like clear water seemed to have a strange depth to it. It gave off the feeling of murky waters of a deep lake.

The expression went away as soon as it came. But Dazai, who from a young age, was a member and executive of the Port Mafia and an exceptional individual in general easily saw the change in her eyes.

The girl behind him felt so elusive, so fleeting. It was as if once Dazai turned around to face the door, she would without a word slip away from his fingers and disappear.

Dazai quickly shook off the strange feeling before smiling at (Y/N) and exiting the bar.

(Y/N) then as usual, started to vigorously clean the entire bar before wordlessly heading up to her apartment and turning off all the lights of the building.

It was a chilly night with an even colder pair of amethyst eyes glistening in the dark room while calmly glancing at the photo frame atop the bedside table.
The girl stares at it carefully before tenderly putting it face down on top of the table.

The picture of two children happily playing in a green field was laid down with a soft thud on the table, the picture no longer to be visible. Only the words,

     "-To my beloved children."

on the back to be visible.

-
-
SO IM GONNA HAVE MY EXAMS SOON SO IM SORRY IF IM NOT ABLE TO UPDATE ON TIME :(((
So instead i wrote a pretty long chapter🖤
Wish me luck y'all, im gonna need it :')
Anyways, have a great day y'all !
Xoxo