19. Crimson

tw // slight mention of gore towards the end.

ஜீ

"Be ready to bust in when I give the signal." Kunikida says while speaking through the small microphone that he was grabbing, his knuckles turning white. He stares at the monitor where he could see his two comrades moving into position.

"In position." Atsushi whispers while glancing at Kenji and back at the small underground entry-way behind the Goethe estate. His legs and arms now transformed into that of the zodiac tiger.

Just as Kunikida opens his mouth to tell the two boys to bust through the heavy metal door, the said door opens slowly with a loud creak. Atsushi and Kenji visibly tense up as they scramble to hide behind the walls of the entryway. They hold their breaths until—

"Dazai-san?!" Atsushi and Kenji whisper-yell in unison, eyes wide in shock before sighing a breath of relief at the sight of their teammate.

Dazai winks at the two boys while walking out of the entryway, not openly acknowledging them. He doesn't want the man looking at him through the large window of the manor to notice the boys, although something tells him that the crimson eyed man already knows. Dazai walks the unnecessarily long path towards the back exit of the huge estate. As he exits the large gates of the manor before striding down the road, he hears rushed footsteps behind him.

"Dazai-san!" A familiar voice calls from behind. Kenji and Atsushi walk beside him and the three walk towards a van parked a few blocks away from the Goethe estate.

"What happened in there? Why did you break the listening device? Are you okay?" Kunikida floods Dazai with questions as soon the three enter the van, his eyebrows knitted in worry. Dazai flashes him a smile, one that doesn't really reach his eyes before plopping down on one of the seats.

"He knew." He says, an indecipherable smile playing in his lips. Kunikida raises an eyebrow.

"We were naive to think that The Goethe mansion wouldn't have bugs to interfere with connection signals. He also knew that I had a device on me so I threw it away."

"And by he you mean...?"

"Alistair Goethe. Apparently THE head of the family." Dazai looks at the confused faces of his teammates.

"But isn't the family head Dorn—" Tanizaki's sentence is cut off by Dazai interrupting him,

"Was. Dornez was the head. I heard about this a few days ago too, from the not-so-reliable informants. Although, I didn't really think that guy was actually being serious." Dazai shrugs while digging his hands into the pockets of his trench coat.

"So.. what did he want?" Atsushi asks, confusion lacing his voice.

Ah, there it is. The million dollar question.

One of the answer to that question, Dazai can give easily without even batting an eye. The answer being—Alistair Goethe doesn't want the Armed Detective Agency snooping around his family's business. However,

"There are things about her no one should know."

The words echo through the brunette's head. He can't exactly tell everyone that he's been in contact with the daughter of the certain mob family.
But why? Why can't he tell them? Why doesn't he want to tell them? Is it because a very uneasy and foreboding feeling forms in the pit of Dazai's stomach every time he thinks about the white haired girl?
Is it because there's something he desperately wishes to not be true regarding the said girl even though his gut feelings have never been wrong?