Chapter 9

The kettle nosel started spewing white steam and Luna poured the cups to brew.
Before long she and Ruka were sitting on one of the couches in the living room. The others were relatively silent when they first sat down before slowly progressing back into their small talk.
Their classes were canceled for the night because of the heavy snowfall so they all decided to entertain themselves in the dorms.

Luna took a sip of her coffee. "Why didn't you offer us any tea?" Aido pouted heavily.

"You should've asked when we were boiling the water. But I think the water should still be hot." Ruka took another sip of tea. "Will you make some for me Luna? Pretty please?"

She dragged him to the kitchen and grabbed a cup once more.

The kitchen was quiet and she could feel that he wanted to speak his mind. It was tiresome to say the least. She didn't like secrets as much as the next person. Zero... Luna still couldn't believe he had left her all on her lonesome. He was better off not knowing what she wanted to ask him anyway.

"Yes, Aido?"

Aido's eyes searched the kitchen to check if anyone was listening in.

"I heard about what happened earlier,"

"It was an accident. The lights were dim and he snuck up on me." Her tone was defensive. She still felt bad; even after all the apologies. The pit in her stomach was still there. Luna's fingers fidget in subtle motions as she tried to distract herself.

"That's weird considering... Shiki can't control light or fire."

"Can we drop this, please? Here," The warm cup was placed in his hands before she exited the tiled room.

Her cellphone buzzed in her hand. Who'd be massaging her this late at night?

Luna checked her phone as she sat down.
"Who is it?" Takuma seemed curious.
"Zero- and with an apology, I'd hope."
Luna retorted thoughtlessly as she took another swing of her coffee.

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

< Zero Kiryu

< Where are you? The headmaser
is worried
²¹'²³

< Dd u get lost in the storm
or something?
²¹'²⁵

TYPING... >

╚⊶⊶⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

Okay, maybe an apology was too much to ask. There was a small smile on her lips as she went over the message again.

'Is he worried about me?'

╔⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

< Zero Kiryu

I'm fine. The storm started >
getting bad just after inspec
so I'm staying here till it blows
over

²²'²⁸

< Where? Don't tell me u staying
at the Moon dorms
²²'³⁰

I'm okay with the idea. >
Just one night
²²'³¹
You've been acting kinda >
off. U ok?
²²'³⁴

< TYPING...

╚⊶⊶⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

She really hoped that he would tell her himself.
The three dots jumped up and down which made Luna bit the inside of her cheek. After a few minutes, the three dots vanished.
Nope, not today.

She sighed before taking a sip from the fine china-cup. The screen was still alit before she typed a one-handed message. "Goodnight"
The boy replied dryly, "Okay?" The screen turned black.

After that Luna chatted with Ruka a little, although she didn't feel entirely in tune with reality at that moment, like watching an old memory. In the back of her mind Zero was an immediate topic. This small interaction felt -for whatever reason- asif she could do nothing and everything simultaneously.

Footsteps turned down the staircase behind Luna. The aristocrats reactions were enough to tell her who it was.

"Good evening, Luna."

Luna gave a small hello back before the man took a seat on one of the only white armchairs in the room.
He looked like a king upon his throne and he knew he was. That's one of the reasons she never liked him: his arrogance. Even if he was actually alot more powerful than most of the Aristocrats combined. Still: being a little modest never hurt anyone.

"Luna, aren't you cold?"

"I'm just as cold-blooded as you are. But Ruka agreed to lend me some of her pajamas to sleep in." The girls tongue gratted. "Speaking of which," she leaned a bit forward as she lifted her weight. "I think it's about time I get to bed. Ruka, shall we?"

Ruka's feet were dragged in the direction of the stairs. Just as Luna's shadow passed him, Kaname seized her wrist; her body pulled back.

His voice was almost haughty as he kept his eyes on her hand, "Please say a little longer. I haven't seen you in years and now you avoid me like the plaque."
Her arms were sticks under Kaname's grasp as his Pureblood strength seeped through. She was strong, sure, but she could barely tug her arm the slightest bit forward in her condition.

"How am I suppose to feel?"
"I'm tired."
It was a cautious awnser.

She forgot how cold his hands really felt. No sign of the warmth of humanity anywhere in his royal-esk veins.
Yet again... there wasn't much in hers either. But atleast she was once human... in another life time.

"Goodnight everyone." Another pull attempted to seperate the two but try as she might there was no budging.

"Please?"

They're eyes finnaly made contact. Just now had he realized the flame in her eyes when her backside arched away from him. The tension stood still for a moment as his hand let go of her figure.
There was no certain reason in the moment but he felt a little relieved when she ghosted away from him.

It would only be later that night that he would realize that Luna felt flimsy under his strenth. Usually she fought back and put her voice to use but not tonight. Tonight her flame sat low... and cautious.

That night Luna's sides kept feeling unsure as the stiffness never went away even with the softest matres, most comfortable clothes and the silkiest sheets to hug her: Nothing felt quite right.

Every room felt just a little too quite.

Nothing was safe enough to trust

Even her own shadow

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-988 words

Ps I changed Y/n to Luna cuz I was kinda getting bored with the Y/n - thing.