⤜Chapter-9⤛

Everything was going to go wrong

Everything was going to go wrong. I was going to reveal my identity. I was going to return after a long time. Either I was going to be killed or Mother would capture me.

I sit up on the bed. Lying down didn't help.

I feel different. It feels as though I am looking through the eyes of a fish. I blink my eyes, but nothing changes. The blood pounds in my ears. My heart thuds loudly in my chest. I try to grab the small clock on the bed side table to look at the time but I'm not able to. My hands are shaking uncontrollably.

It suddenly gets harder to breathe. I pull my hands into fists and my nails dig into my palms, leaving rough marks. I try to shout, call someone. Anyone. But my chest grows tight, as if someone is choking me.

I wave my hand and with difficulty imagine a translucent hand going to Merida's room. I drop a vase, which was previously on her study table, on the ground and move around other things frantically. I suddenly start feeling the world going round and round.

I hear voices outside. "Open the door. Open the door, Cassia."

I feel myself losing consciousness. I send a translucent hand to open the door and feel myself falling onto the bed. My chest pains suddenly and I scream loudly.

The last thing I remember before passing out is a 'Cassia, breathe.'

***

"She's taking too much pressure, Bette. She's just a child."

"Exactly! She is literally my age, grandma! Are you sure we should take her to the castle?"

"I don't want to. But she's adamant on going to the castle."

"Well then, stop her. I cannot see her suffer this much. Do you remember when father left us – me and mum? He made my whole life upside down. What if Cassia's mother has had the same effect?"

"The sorceress has done the damage already. But she has indeed made her very strong. Don't tell her this, but she's powerful, even for a grey."

"She would be happy to hear this."

"Bette, you mustn't forget the words of your mother. Tis known to all that the power of light shall forsooth rest in darkness. We cannot take a risk."

I cough loudly. I open my eyes a bit to see Merida and Bette rushing by my side.

"Are you alright?", Bette asks me.

I nod slightly. "What was that? Someone was choking me.", I say quietly.

"You had a panic attack", Merida says.