⁰²⁷ The Docks

Kento's P.O.V

WE SAT ON THE GRASS FOR A FEW MORE MINUTES TILL EVENTUALLY I COULD CONTROL MY BREATHING. I sighed slowly, playing with my fingers looking at the dirt that was under them and silently picking it out. Sae-byeok was leaning on my shoulder, hands in her lap and legs crossed as she looked around us.

All she could see was trees and nature making it clear the secret facility was underground.

Neither of us said anything and I was grateful she wasn't trying to push her pity into me. She just sat there and let us sit in silence for a bit. It was stupid for us to do this so I knew eventually we'd have to head off to the docks but I couldn't bring myself to say anything. It hurt to much.

"Kento." Her voice was horse and dry.

"Hm?"

"Did you... love him?"

I turned my head towards her and gave her a questioning look. "What do you mean by that?" She looked at me like a puppy and I would've called it cute if not for the circumstance right now.

"Tadashi. You loved him right?" She asked and I looked at my hands in thought. "Love is a strong word. I wouldn't say I loved him." I answered quietly.

Liar.

"We were close that's all." I shrugged but my answer didn't seem to be the one she wanted but I wasn't go to say anything else. The injuries i've gained over the past few days seemed to start coming up again as my whole body ache. The stab wound was clearly infected by this point and the bullets in my arms and legs weren't any better.

"Do you think Tadashi's family would be worried?"

"Yeah." I sighed thinking about the brunette again. His happy smile coming into my mind. "They would."

"You are my family Kento."

Sae-byeok looked up at me with sadness then sighed quietly and played with the grass, picking it out then tossing it besides her.

Suddenly, Sae-byeok stood up and I stared at her with confusion. She then yanked on my hand, "Get up. We getting out of here." She sounded serious and I shook my head. 

"The boats probably already left by now, we have no chance—"

"Stop disbelieving in yourself!" She screamed causing me to flinch and look at her with surprise. "You always go on and on about useless things like 'We can't do this' or 'this won't work' just shut up and try for once! I understand you're upset and so am I but we can't just sit here and expect him to come back!"

She gripped my hand tighter before her eyes became watery and my frown deepened. "He's gone. Face the facts, you can't bring him back but you can honour him when we get home." Sae-byeok kneeled in front of me and tried to give me a warm smile but I could tell she was tired and overwhelmed.

"He will always be in here," she poked at my chest and I looked down at her finger then back at her. "He will always be with you, maybe not in front of you but he will never leave your side."

I bit my tongue slightly as my hands started to shake but before I could get emotional again, Sae-byeok pulled hard on both of my hands forcing me to stand up. She started walking and I mindlessly started to follow without realising it. 

Her grip didn't falter as we walked through the forest silently with no in mind destination. I knew she was worried but I wasn't going to just spill my guys out to her anytime soon.