⁰²² Dead and Alive

3rd Person P.O.V

WITH DINNER NOW FINISHED, THE STAFF BEGAN TAKING AWAY THE CUTLERY FROM THE TABLES LEAVING ONE SINGULAR KNIFE. The action confused the players and they glanced at the retreating staff wondering the point of having it. The classical music remained playing above them as each of them slowly grabbed the knife and rested it on their lap while the staff continued to take away decorations on the triangular table.

Cue Jun-ho's sad "death".

It was quiet in the overly large room with candles settled in the centre and the soft glow of the golden pig filled with money illuminating onto the ground, the players now resting on their chosen bed.

No conversation was spoken between any of them as the air had gotten tense when they finished dinner and the staff had left. Both boys fiddled with the knife carefully while Sae-byeok breathed slowly with closed eyes, a blanket draped across her legs.

"Sae-byeok" Someone called making her open her eyes and try to quickly hold her knife out in front of her.

Since she was so weak by this point and the injuries taking over, her reaction was too slow for it to actually protect her. Gi-Hun stood there by the bed quietly, looking at the timid girl with a blank face.

"Don't worry. I didn't come here to kill you." He reassured but the girl remained on guard with the knife pointed at him, sweat dripping down her whole face.

"You're dozing off. I would've killed you by this point if I wanted to." His words didn't make it any better for her though. He lifted his knife to his chest than looked towards his childhood friend in anger.

"I only have this because of him. Protection, you know?" Shrugging a bit in attempt to calm his friend and to show he wasn't kidding, he lifted the cutlery to slide it into his suit pocket.

Neither players said any words as Gi-hun gently slide down so he was in a squat position next to the girl. Both stared at Sang-woo from across the room when the man started speaking to her. "You're not holding up to well."

"I'm fine." She mumbled, still not turning to look at him. Gi-hun wasn't convinced but he wanted to question her more so she would just admit it. "Why did you leave so much food then?" He asked quietly.

"It didn't taste good." Gi-hun turned to look at her and frowned, "Stop lying."

Sae-byeok was annoyed by his words but knew by this point that he'd already figured out that she was practically too weak to continue on.

"If i'm hurt...would you treat me?" Her question was strange and out of the blue, she swallowed the large lump that made its way in her throat that caused her body to shake even more, "Don't mind me...worry about yourself." She softly finished.

For a few minutes, the players talked to each other about what they'd do if they somehow won the money, and if that either one of them doesn't make it, the other will care and support the others family. Gi-hun was convinced that both of them could win against Sang-woo but Sae-byeok felt nervous and scared about the outcome of this. A sudden thought came into her mind though that somehow had escaped earlier on.

What about them?

Didn't they promise that they would come back for her?

Could she really rely on some people she'd just met.

She already knew both boys were close so they could definitely just ditch her and escape together. That would probably be for the best anyway. She hasn't helped at all, just waited for them to do all the work and risk their lives for the sake of her own.