Act 36: Wrath

MATURE WARNING: This chapter involves depictions of graphic abusecruelty and mentions of suicide. Viewer Discretion is advised.

A young Durandal sat overlooking the grassy plain as the stars in the sky shone brighter than ever, the bright twinkling stars contrasting against the jet black night sky. The young Valkyrie's hair danced in the wind as she looked on in expressionless awe, watching as the blades of grass swayed by her feet. But then something really drew her attention: a singular shooting star. It traced across the skyline with a blue trail of stardust; illuminating the dark night even brighter than before. It caused a skip of her heart and her hair to stand on end, her sapphire eyes focused on the spectacle that was nothing short of beautiful. 

As she grew older, she never saw another shooting star like it. Yet, that memory of the azure star that streaked across the sky always remained in her mind. 

And then that day came. 

A day like any other. She was to complete a mission, nothing more. But then, from across the sky came a streak of orange. At its apex, a glowing flame akin to a star. It rivalled the afternoon sun as it danced across the sunset sky, losing momentum until the flame burned out; revealing a young man who would then fall into her arms. A man who would change her life forever, a man who's life would change because of her. A man named Perceval Avlonia; a man who fell from heaven itself. 

Several Months Ago:
7:24PM: Durandal's Room, Shicksal HQ

Perceval sat with Durandal on the railing of their balcony, hands intertwined as they looked up at the crystal clear night sky. The hazel haired Knight looked over to the Valkyrie with a smile, gentle yet meaningful in its entirety. "You've got that look on your face. That reminiscing face when you're looking back on things."

... ... 

"Perceval, did I ever tell you about the first time I saw a shooting star?" 

"You haven't, but I'd be happy to listen."

Durandal climbed back over the railing, as did Perceval, leaning on the railing and looking out into the distance. Her gaze speaking of memories long past as her strawberry blonde hair slowly picked up in the wind, the Valkyrie gently reaching for Perceval's other hand. 

"When I first saw a shooting star, I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had seen. It made me feel less alone, it reminded me of the stars; the possibilities within the Sea of Quanta. And I had always hoped that one day, I would see a shooting star again. Because, before I met you, I still felt alone with my own power. I had always dreamed of a saviour, or someone like me on that star. I suppose what I'm trying to say is..."

"I was waiting for a star to fall... But you fell instead... And it was better than any star that could have ever fell..."

The Knight smiled softly and turned her toward him, leaning his forehead on hers while closing his eyes gently. "That's really sweet... Thank you... I don't think I can answer that back." 

Her sapphire eyes sparkled as she gave a gentle chuckle, nudging the Knight in the shoulder as she walked back inside the room; sitting on the edge of the bed with a look of affirmation. Perceval sat down beside her and relaxed, leaning gently against the Valkyrie's shoulder. "All I can really do is be here for you." 

Perceval smiled kindly at his beloved, offering his affection in a single gaze that made the Valkyrie's heart skip. "Because, I know that's all you ask for."