So when

"Stop double dipping you freak." You snapped at Eren before he put a chip in his mouth.

"No. My salsa. My rules," he replied with a little chuckle as you both stared at the screen.

His phone made a notification sound on the coffee table in between you both, you were sitting on the floor with your legs under the coffee table instead of on the couch. You had your backs against the couch and the sounds of the controller filled the room. Eren's phone dinged again hurt he didn't answer it.

"You're not gonna see who it is?" You asked.

"Pass it to me," he muttered before grabbing another chip.

You gave it to him and glanced at the name of the text, it was from Hitch. You wanted to ask but you didn't, he checked his phone and opened the message right after he paused the game. He was silent as he texted back and forth, you sat there awkwardly and waited for him to get finished.

"Hitch wants me to go on a double date," Eren blurted.

"Oh. Then I'll go," you stood up and Eren grabbed your hand, tugging you down a bit.

"Yeah...Uhm, see you later?" He stammered for the first time you'd ever heard him verbally hesitate.

"Yep. Enjoy your evening, bring me back a cupcake," you walked around the couch and headed for the front door with as much of your pride still left with you that you came with.

The sound of your feet hitting the hardwood floor on your way out, it stung a little. Maybe it plucked the wrong heartstrings for whatever reason, you didn't want to feel this way. It wasn't jealously...was it? No. No way it was, to be jealous you'd have to be in some sort of relationship with him, right? No way he'd date you, in fact, you convinced yourself that you probably annoyed him every time you opened your mouth just like before. So why was it that you couldn't imagine a life with him...if not him, then who?

EREN POV:

No way in hell I was going on that double date with Hitch. I just let her think that so I could go see someone else without question. I stood up and grabbed my car keys, I walked out to get to my car right outside the building after grabbing my jacket from my room.  I got in and pulled out from the driveway, usually once every other month I would go see him and he'd pay what he could for my mother.

Nice guy, never really got to know him that much and he's not really all that interested in me. I can tell he just feels bad for me because every single dollar of scholarship money has gone towards my mother's treatment. We met at the same restaurant every time, it wasn't far so I made it within ten minutes of leaving campus. I saw his car model and color outside the restaurant, I parked and got out to go meet him in the same spot as always. The third booth on the right, next to the window.

I approached and sat down at the booth, his attention shifted to me with a soft smile and the bookbag next to him was dark.

"How have you been recently?" He asked softly.

"Oh, I've been good. What about yourself Zeke?"

"I've been okay...have you spoken with dad yet?" He asked while scratching his head.

"Nope. I have no plans to either," I replied casually, raising both my eyebrows a bit at the dies of even doing that.

"How's your mother? Is she getting any better?"

"Nope. Treatment stopped working and she refuses to take any more of it. She'll die within a couple of months," I responded.

"I won't even ask or hold you any longer. Here you go and...sending her my best regards,"