Markos: CXVII

Começar do início

".. Because I can't.." The answer felt like a cop-out, maybe that's what it was. The floorboards creaked under his trembling body, for once even Alekzandr seemed concerned with his matters more than what they were originally talking about. Riu seemed dissatisfied with that answer, narrowing her own eyes in concern. Did he deserve this? To be cared for in any kind of way? The heat from the fireplace did little to stop his shivers, maybe perfect sanity for a single day wasn't worth it. Maybe it just reminded him of all the things he couldn't have.

"Is the ring.. Special?" Special.. Oh gods.. Is it special? Markos shook his head furiously holding back tears, he couldn't answer that! Not now.. What.. what would they think of him? Wearing something like this after.. After.. No. no. no.

"No." He lied finally. An answer was an answer. At least he could tell her something, she was being nice.

"Meoowww." all three of them flinched instantly, Markos glanced over his shoulder the excitement and longing in his stomach never left, god's he was sick in the head. 'What the fuck is wrong with you Markos?!' He screamed internally. Snaking around Alekzandr's leg was the small cat the one he'd helped Riu take care of. It had seemed to have calmed down from earlier.

"What is this?" Alekzandr quizzed, his voice was hoarse and split apart from crying, but he seemed to be mildly amused. The soldier leaned over, scooping the cat up into his arms. "Wow, such a small little kitty.. You must eat." Oh that was quite hear warming-

"Ghaa! Alekz no!" Riu screamed, the soldier looked up confused , still tilting the vodka flask towards the cat's mouth. "You can't- feed it vodka!" A moment passed without a word. Markos reached down, finally summoning the strength to stare at his ring. She was.. So.. horrible- no kind, terrible! Soft.. Damn his own body. What was it that made him so happy to think about her?

"But.. Vodka?" The drunk finally answered. Steadily though he did drop the little flask pulling the cat in closer to his chest. While petting the new animal Alekzandr seemed to stare intently at the fireplace, contemplating.. Something. "You will make your parents proud Riu." Alekz whispered, his voice was barely louder than the crackling fire, the hot red tongues lapped at the chimney like a dog in a water bowl. He hadn't forgotten how either of those sensations felt.

"I.." The Aasimar seemed to be caught off guard, only a few moments ago was she crying herself. "Thank you.." Her face glanced away, probably not nearly as happy as she let on to seem. "I just don't know what to do.." Her voice broke again. "They were.. Insurmountable, massive, and figures of the community, what do you do with a legacy like that?"

"Maybe nothing." Alekzandr shrugged, the drunk dropped his flask to the floor. "Maybe you forget about it.. And embrace yourself."

"I can't forget my family's legacy, I have.. Responsibilities.. So many responsibilities." Riu's voice trailed off.

"You smile when you hold the ring." His heart dropped. Alekzandr leaned over, with still wet eyes. Yes, he did.. He wasn't proud of it. "And yet you cry when you are looking at it. Comrade.. I have seen many things, I have grieved them all. But whatever is going on in that mind.. Well, you should never flinch when you touch something like you're about to be hit, and still smile with that." w-what? He.. he knew that. He knew that! Or.. oh god's he didn't know anymore. Riu crashed into his right arm, Markos flinched instantly trying to pull away, but the Aasimar was stronger than he'd assumed.

"N-no! D-don't she'll.. She'll get jealous- oh fuck not again, not again.." He reached up clutching at his head shaking in utter fear, there was desperation with every pull at his hair, almost as if trying to claw the memories out. That didn't work. "I wanna be me.. I wanna be me.." He shook furiously, rocking back and forth with small quick breaths.