25. Talking

-Randall-

-Randall-

"Do you want to watch a game? Or a movie? Or should we start with that show I talked about?"

"Hmm?" I looked up at Cole as we stopped in front of his door with the grocery bags. "Oh, the show?"

I didn't really care, but he'd talked my ears off about a TV show I'd never heard of on our way back from my place, looking really enthusiastic about it.

"Nice," he said with a smile while opening the door.

I followed him inside, but when he took his shoes off, I just stood there, looking around. Had I ever noticed all the colors before? No. After seeing my own apartment, Cole's looked like an exploded paint factory. There was so much life in it I was almost getting a headache. It wasn't a bad thing, though.

"What's wrong?" Cole asked quietly with worry in his eyes.

I shook my head and kicked my shoes off. "I'm good."

"I know you don't like to talk, but..." he trailed off, but when I looked at him, he looked away. "Sorry... I just..."

"What?"

"I wish you'd let me help... I know there's not much I can do, but I feel so powerless... So... Useless."

I watched him closely for a moment. When I didn't speak, he peered at me carefully, looking sad. Part of me wanted to say I was just fine. I didn't want to say anything more than that. Why did he have to say such awkward things? It made me uncomfortable, and he knew that. I could tell that just by the look on his face.

It was my turn to look away.

"I'm sorry I said anything..." he muttered, sounding defeated.

"You know my issues," I said quietly, hoping that he would leave it at that.

Maybe he did...

"Yeah..."

I needed some distance, so I walked into the living room, pulling my mail out of my pocket. I stopped to stare at the envelopes, my name on them. Randall Allen.

"Should we... watch the show?" Cole asked hesitantly.

I glanced at him. I couldn't understand how I could have such a huge impact on his mood. Why did he let me have such an effect on him? He was miserable because I didn't want to talk to him, and yet, he still wanted to watch the show with me.

I hated it. I hated seeing him like that.

I sighed quietly. Talking. I could do that. I'd done that a lot lately.

"When I said I'm good, I meant it. I am good," I told him.

"Okay, that's good," he said, taking a step toward me with hope in his eyes.