23. Battle of Voices

-Randall-

-Randall-

I wasn't good company during the rest of the day, or the next. I stayed mostly in my room, sleeping most of the time and avoiding Cole the best I could. Being around him made me uneasy. I couldn't stand it. All I wanted was to be left alone, and after a few tries to talk to me, he had finally understood it.

During that time, I did my best not to let myself have any thoughts. I was too tired, too exhausted to deal with anything. And I was so angry. I couldn't even tell why I was so angry, but it was constantly there, bubbling underneath the calm surface. Every time I saw Cole or even heard him walk around his apartment, the anger started rising. It was another reason I needed to avoid him.

Right now, he was cooking... I found myself staring at the door, listening to the quiet sounds he was making. My stomach growled demandingly, but I ignored it and rolled over to stare at the wall instead.

"I like you..."

I shivered when his words invaded my mind.

"I want to make you happy..."

I groaned, covering my eyes with my hands. Like that could've silenced his voice.

"I just want to hold you... Just for a little while longer..."

I rolled on my back and stared at the ceiling. This was why I was trying to avoid him. Vaughn had really messed me up when he brought up my feelings toward Cole. What feelings? I felt nothing but gratitude towards that guy! That was it! There were no other feelings. Nothing.

Nothing.

"You will be happy..."

"Squealy pig!"

"I just want to see you smile..."

"Fucking pig! Go and get raped!"

"All I could think of was helping you..."

"You're not a fucking man!"

"I want to look after you..."

"What the fuck is wrong with you? You're not a fucking man, you're a pervert! You're a squealer. Men fuck women. You really think you're a man? You're nothing! You're human waste! Someone should cut your cock off because you are not a man! You will never be a man!"

"It's all right... Nothing can hurt you..."

"I should throw you out! I didn't raise a fag! It should be legal to kill a fucker like you! You should be dead, you hear me?! I hope those rapists kill you!"

I jumped up, my heart racing. Dad's words had sounded like he was right next to me in that room. I didn't even notice I was retreating into the corner, pulling my knees up to make myself as small as possible. My eyes dashed around in panic, trying to spot him standing there, holding the laptop in his hands.