16. In Need of Help

-Randall-

-Randall-

Cole didn't let me do anything that day. Whenever I offered to help with something, clearing out the table after breakfast or preparing dinner later that day, he told me I needed to rest. I spent most of that day on the couch with the TV on, but I wasn't really watching it. Most of my focus was on Cole, even when I couldn't see him.

I didn't know what to do with his confession. The guy liked me. He still acted like he liked me, even after I'd threatened him with a knife. And called him a rapist in the middle of a busy street. Even after I'd shown him just how fucked up I was.

Why...?

"How are you feeling?" he asked quietly once he finished cleaning up after dinner.

I leaned back on the couch and lowered my gaze down to my hands. How was I feeling?

"Tired," I breathed out.

I didn't want to elaborate on it. No... He didn't want me to elaborate on it. That fucker who had ruined me.

"I'm... I feel bad for making you look after me," I said the first thing that popped into my head.

"Hey..." he said gently, leaning a bit closer to me on the couch. "I want to look after you. I want to make sure you're safe and not alone."

I nodded slowly. His words made me feel something else... Something odd... Something I still wasn't used to.

Something nice.

"I... I want to feel better," I told him. He stayed quiet, so I assumed he wanted me to go on. I took a deep breath and peered at him carefully. "When you started coming to the gym... After I started noticing..."

It was surprisingly hard to say the stuff I wanted, but Cole gave me all the time I needed to recollect myself.

"After I started noticing... you... I... felt better," I said, whispering the last words because of how hard it was to say them out loud. I looked away from him, but I did see a glimpse of his smile just before that. "I want that back..."

"You will feel better soon," he said reassuringly. "It may be a rough ride, but I am here for you. If there's anything you need, anything at all, just ask."

"Why?" I asked, finding the guts to look at him again. "I'm a fucking mess."

"I was a fucking mess too once," he reminded me, his smile fading away. "Back then, I wished I had someone to turn to. I can't just let you think you're all alone in this world. Because you're not. You have me."

I didn't question his words. He could've left me in my apartment after I pulled out the knife...

Something horrible twisted in my guts when I remembered his scar. His stab wound.