Abby inhaled sharply. "Why do you care about this so badly? I said I didn't want to talk about it."

In that moment, I saw my own reflection staring back at me. A person who shut down and would rather lash out than admit she needs comfort. I won't have that be her life.

She deserves more than that. She has always been the best of us. I can't let her go on this road. A road that leds to becoming me. And hell, I barely like me most days.

"Because you're my sister and I care about you. I want to help you-"

"Oh, you wanna help me? Play therapist so you can avoid your own problems? Fine."

She stepped closer to me with a storm raging in her eyes. Her hands were pulled into fists and her glare made me feel exposed. As if though I was the one who needed confronting.

"Lizzie went sick in the head and decided that walkers were regular people. She then killed Mika so she would turn and then she tried to do the same to me and Judith."

That was most definitely not what I was expecting. My mouth opened and closed as I tried to find a way to respond to that. I couldn't exactly find one.

Abby tried to hold up a strong facade but I could see something inside of her crumbling. The bitter smile she forced didn't help the situation.

"And you want to know the worst part? I had a chance to stop her before she killed Mika. But I just... I couldn't do that to her." she whispered the last part, almost to herself.

The agony that spread across her face passed by in a blink. She composed herself best she could but there was no hiding the way she tried to blink away tears.

My eyes softened at the sight. "She was your friend. Of course you weren't able to do it. Killing... it doesn't come easy. It shouldn't."

Her eyes closed as she pinched the bridge of her nose. Her anger transformed to frustration with my words. I couldn't imagine what I could've possibly said that wrongly.

My advices weren't the best, but they weren't that bad either. I am trying here. I'm doing my best.

"No, Josephine, you don't understand. I couldn't do that to her."

I furrowed my eyebrows. Wasn't that what I just said? Abby looked at me with desperation basically radiating from her. What wasn't I getting here?

She couldn't kill Lizzie. Not because they weren't friends but because...

My eyes widened slightly at the thought. I almost didn't dare say anything out of fear of her telling me I was misreading the situation, but the humorless laugh she let out was enough proof.

"I had a crush on her since the day she arrived. And there was a moment when I thought she might like me back but..." she trailed off.

I swallowed a lump in my throat. Oh I was so wrong. This is something I have no experience with.

"But she was too far gone." I finished.

Abby nodded and looked away from me. It's rare that one experiences first heartbreak and a first attempt on their life at the same time. What she must be going through...

I hugged her with all my might as if though I could shield her from all that was already inflicted upon her. Her arms held on to me as she returned the gesture. My mind could barely comprehend how much it must've sucked to keep all that in.

The thought of her thinking I wouldn't be supportive...

"So, you and Carl are definitely not gonna be a thing?" I mumbled into her hair.