Day 71

June 10th

The plan this week was to veer onto the island of Kyushu, to be one step closer to Okinawa. However, some of those plans will have to change. After agreeing to be their fill-in rider, Sensu corporate emailed me some of the details behind the final race.

Ayden,

Congratulations on joining the Sensu Factory Supermoto team. While this situation is temporary, your inclusion on the team is a necessary step in us finishing the series on a high note.

We are delighted to see your passion and vigor for this opportunity, as we feel like your energy on the team is greatly needed. While we cannot guarantee a factory ride beyond this series, we are indebted to you and will happily provide you with the tools needed in your future endeavors.

The final race will be held in Osaka, with practice days scheduled beforehand. We will need you there for both. In the meantime, there is a track in the Kyushu region that can schedule you a ride this week. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out. We will be sending you travel info to Osaka later in the week.

Sincerely,

Sensu Corporate

Amidst the congratulatory info, they also requested my sizes in different attire (helmet, boots, jersey, the works). The thought of being a factory rider (albeit, temporarily) is definitely an achievement. For a scrappy rider like myself, opportunities like this are seldom and hard to fight for. You can bet your ass I'm going to push this bike to the limits, as I have spent several weeks getting used to her bearings.

After exchanging info with the team, I opened your envelope and prepared myself for the adventure you have for me this week

Ayden,

You're almost done! We're heading into the final stretch of your trip, which means that you'll be doing your fair share of island hopping. By now, you should have seen the best of what Hokkaido, Honshu, Sado, and Shikoku islands have to offer. This week, you'll be crossing over another body of water to explore the island of Kyushu.

For this leg of the trip, I've supplied you with a Black (Kuro) Hachimaki. The shade of black reminded me of cooled magma from a volcano. It's fitting, as Kyushu is home to various Volcanic mountain ranges and bubbling hot springs. Make the most of your penultimate week in the country, as there will be plenty of surprises waiting for you in Okinawa ;)

I'll see you soon!

-Setsuko

Itinerary

Fukuoka

Nagasaki

Mt. Aso (and surrounding areas)

Kumamoto Castle

Takachicho

Miyazaki

Kirishima

It's technically a shade, but black is definitely one of my go-to colors. Given the rising humidity on the island, it'll sure be helpful to hide the gallons of flop sweat. It looks like the best track in Kyushu is in Fukuoka, so that's where I'll begin my week.

According to the GPS, the total trip to Fukuoka took around 7 hours (including a nice ferry ride across the Sea). Today has the makings of being a reflective one, as I didn't have a ton to do while waiting out the waves on the ferry.

My morning ride to the Ferry in Ozu was balmy, with a hint of precipitation in the air. I can tell that I'm riding at a lower elevation, as my throttle delivery is a bit choppy. I haven't checked the carburetor since the main island, so the change in climate predictably shows the change in power.

While aboard the ferry, I looked ahead and booked a nice hotel in Fukuoka. It left me with plenty of time to do that, and to research the history of the city. Did you know that Fukuoka is closer to South Korea than Tokyo? As a matter of fact, there's a ferry available from Fukuoka to their nearby island of Jeju.

This was a rare case where I wish I was able to pre-plan the trip, myself. Being this close to another country would have been too tempting to pass up. Regardless, the proximity to mainland Asia may spark some travel ideas for the future.

Hours passed and we reached the city soil late in the afternoon. The DZed survived yet another voyage across the sea, only galvanizing my confidence in the reliability of the machine. Upon arriving at the hotel, I unloaded my gear and fast-tracked my way to the city's famous street food region (Yatai).

This stretch reminds me of my time in Osaka, as this area resembles the Dotonbori neighborhood there. Stretched along a river, Yatai is a famous food spot for tourists (and foodies) alike. This neighborhood houses dozens of food stands, each with its own unique flavor. My stand of choice was the Yakitori. Call me plain, but nothing beats skewers of grilled chicken and veggies after a long travel day.

The fresh, impaled chunks of protein satisfied every craving I had. I'm not a sophisticated food aficionado, but to me, the beauty of food can be in its simplicity. Sometimes, old cooking techniques and a few ingredients can rival the most exquisite recipe. I'll take the mass of food on these skewers than a 7-course meal any day of the week.

After dinner, I took a walk along the river, forecasting the week ahead. While on the ferry, I made a call to Sensu's shop in town and arranged my ride day for tomorrow. If possible, I'll try to schedule a few of them this week. No amount of track time could prepare me for the final round of the series, but I'll be damned if I let my racecraft go to rust.

You know that I'm never one to half-ass anything (especially in a competitive environment). Whether I win or barely qualify for the main event, I'm going to put my best foot forward and onto the pavement. Hopefully, my competitive spirit doesn't cloud my travel plans, as I would like to see everything that Kyushu has to offer. Places like this are inherently unique, and it'd be a shame for me not to absorb the most of what it has to offer.

With those thoughts out in the ether, it's time to let them fly and carry my conscience into tomorrow. Thanks to the ferry ride, I'm unusually exhausted after supper. The extra hours of sleep tonight will pay dividends on the ride tomorrow. I'm excited to see my track times, and hope that they're not too embarrassing ;)

Thanks again and I'll see you soon!

-Ayden