Chapter 4: Tokyo

April 22nd

The glistening sun has gradually risen above the mountains here in Chichibu and gives me the energy to start a new day. The pure serenity of this landscape is a far cry from what I'll be going to later today. After weeks on the road, crossing the rural stretches of Northern Japan, my trip is about to veer into an urban jungle. Today is finally the day that I make it to Tokyo. The plan is to be there for a week, but I'll see what you have in mind with your itinerary.

Something about these envelope openings invokes a festive mood. It's almost like I'm getting a birthday present every week, except they're just different colored headbands... It beats socks, but some extra yen would be nice every now and then... Nonetheless, I took a peek at what you had to say.

Ayden,

Here's the itinerary for your first week in Tokyo. As you can imagine, the city is impossible to navigate in one week. For that reason, I anticipate you spending multiple weeks in the large metropolis. Your hachimaki for this leg of the trip is pink. Like the color of this band, you should enjoy the vibrance of this city with your own glow. In a city of millions, don't be afraid to stick out.

Have a great time and I'll see you soon!

-Setsuko

Itinerary

-Explore the alleys of Shinjuku

-Try some of the best arcades in Akihabara

-Visit the well-known shrines (Meiji Jingu/Sensoji)

-Get a view of the bay from Odaiba

-Double that view from the air via Tokyo Tower and Skytree

-Find the best wagyu you can afford

-Take a spin through the city with the "go-kart experience"

I know you're trying to help, but pink? If anyone asks, I'm saying the color's diet red.

As for today's route, it appears that it'll be a 2-hour trek into the city. I'll have to keep potential traffic in mind, so my ride day could be a lot longer than expected.

One thing I plan on doing while in Tokyo is to do a routine "night drive". To experience the spectacle that is those bright neon lights, I'm going to map out evening rides throughout the city. I'll try to hit a different Ward (section) of the city each night, hopefully seeing the best of what Tokyo has to offer.

As for my accommodations, I'm starting my time in the city with a new experience. For the first time on this trip, I'm going to stay in a capsule hotel. If you're not familiar with these places, they're essentially hotels with pod-shaped sleeping quarters and shared amenities. I'm not sure how I'll handle those cramped quarters, but sometimes, you have to put yourself out of your comfort zone to grow.

The minutes melt away on the road and after a few short hours (with less traffic than expected), I enter the outskirts of the city. It becomes immediately clear to me that the flurry of human activity in this place is unlike anything I've experienced before. With over 13 million people within the Tokyo Metropolitan area (and over 37 million in the region), I've officially immersed myself in the epicenter of the urban bustle.

The multitude of towering buildings mixed with the ant-like pace of the busy city streets just demonstrates the magnitude of this concrete landscape. Perhaps the first thing that surprised me about this city is how light the traffic is, despite the size. I know that many residents rely on the subway for transportation, but I didn't expect the lack of density on the roads. That's nice to know, as I can be a little more reckless on my night rides.