36. Birth of a New Master

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Dae Ho," Haneul warns in a stern tone, a brow raising and eyes hard. "Don't spout shi—"

"I'm just giving you a reality check, Haneul. I'm showing you what you're putting on the line by being here and acquainting yourself with me. Don't taint yourself by being a part of whatever I'm doing. You don't deserve it. Don't waste your time on a lost cause."

Haneul fiddles with his fingers, lips pressing into a slight grimace, gaze flickering every now and then. He becomes quiet as if he's trying to gather his words the next time he speaks. He plays with the lapels of his jacket, his blue hair falling over his eyes when he dips his head. He has no rebuttal for Dae Ho as he expected. Haneul could forget it all and move on, separate their paths just as they have been through the years. A series of different emotions cross his face, ending in one of dismay.

"You can lea—"

"No! You listen to me, Park Dae Ho," Haneul yanks the neck of the younger's hoodie with a scowl, taking Dae Ho back by the action. "I'm done listening to you and letting you play with my head! I'm doing what I want and you'll let me. And if you get arrested before asking me, I'll kill you myself. Do you understand?"

"Wha—"

"—are we clear?" The doctor stresses again, tightening his grip.

"Alright, alright." Dae Ho raises his hands in surrender. "Geez, when did you get so aggressive?"

"You'd know if you didn't disappear for years," Haneul bites back and pushes him away.

Then they fall silent, the tension dissipating into thin air, Haneul's features resting back to their original form slowly. He is a man that's not easy to aggravate but Dae Ho has been effortlessly stepping on his nerves. Even though the doctor may understand his intentions, good or bad, his hero complex holds him from just abandoning his former friend. An attribute that is both a blessing and a curse.

"You didn't have to clean my apartment and patch me up." Dae Ho says, standing up and stretching his limbs.

"Yeah, definitely didn't have to but it was a garbage can more than a place to live. Better keep it this way the next time I visit."

'Next time, huh,' Dae Ho chuckles shaking his head. "Tell your eomma the food was delicious, thank you."

"What about the gratitude I deserve?" Haneul grumbles putting a hand forward.

"Kim Haneul, I'm thankful for all you've done, cleaning my home, patching me up, and bringing me food. How much do I owe you for your services?"

Although there's a playful tone in the fighter's voice and words, he's truly grateful for all Haneul has been doing in the past months. Reaching out, holding on to him even when he pushed him away, and aiding him in any way he could. The guilt Dae Ho has for threatening the doctor increases with every act Haneul does.

"Since I'm already loaded with cash, I'd like to be paid in some answers." Haneul muses arching a brow.

"When do you not?"

"Maybe I'll stop when you start telling me things without me asking you." Haneul rolls his eyes at the other with a click of his tongue. "I want to know how far you've reached in finding people responsible for Minji's death."

Dae Ho sucks in a breath, his lips pressing into a slight scowl. He glances at the man beside him and casts his gaze back to his folded legs. "Haneul, I don't think you shoul—"

"I'm already involved in this so it's better you let me in on the details too."

"But—"

"No, Dae Ho. As I said, I'm done listening to you."