Chapter Twelve

Lying is not something I try and do often, though I wonder how many people do in fact set out in life to fight and deceive, I know it isn't zero otherwise the world would be a much more pleasant place. The point it, I used to tell myself that I loved History because of the content.

That statement isn't entirely untrue, because I do like learning about the history of a race, I am a part of, funnily enough our history is so intertwined with humans despite liking to build a wall between us. It's strange considering some families are half-magic or even, just human parentage.

Centuries ago, human families that bore magical offspring would either be accused of stealing from a magical family and their child stolen or the human parents would offer up the child as a sacrifice during the witch trials. Which then morphed into sending their children away to a mental institution, when the burning of the stake became tabooer and stopped being practised.

For what is always called the most civilised race to have ever come, they sure like to divide and separate from each other. It's bound to happen when not even the President on the country is allowed to know about my existence... I wonder if the Queen is kept in the dark as well.

It doesn't matter how enthralled the textbooks make me, or how giddy I get when we start a new topic, what made History my favourite subject was the fact I sat next to Jamie. We never were loud enough to actually get in trouble but Professor Bazhier's distaste for Jamie only grew through the year no matter how attentive and well he worked in the class.

It's because of that we had so much fun, only now we are stuck next to each other because Bazhier likes everyone to stay in the same seat for both years unless he is the one that moves you. Something that surprised me is that he never moved Jamie and I, purely for the purpose that it would amuse him.

A highlight of this class was Emma being moved to the middle of the front row not even halfway through last year, due to her disruptive nature... and the fact she can't keep her big mouth shut.

Jamie hasn't dared look up from his textbook, glaring down at it like it might make me disappear from where I am sat next to him.

I don't get it, maybe that's the whole point and I know I need to stop spending so much of my time wondering what happened for him to change like this. Jai says he still won't even speak to him, and their dorm has become a ball of tension that is only relieved when he isn't there.

Jamie's knees are angled away from me, his hair is wild around his face from where he has been running his hand through it. He has done it six times in the ten minutes we have been sitting in the classroom, like normal Bazhier has no desire to ever be on time.

His voice echoes off the walls as he waltz's into the room, a grimace lining his features, I think there's some speckles of grey in his dark hair that weren't there before.

"In 1958, the Pennsylvanian Bureau of Magic, the largest in the US, was attacked by the society and became the first large scale attack on the magical community since the end of the Great Battle in 1947. What was then known as a cultist group, with delusional ideas became a large group of extremists that wanted... continue to want to unveil magic, and use it to control humans-"

Continue. He said continue, talking about the attack has been in the syllabise for years, it's a key opener for us, as we dive into the history of the Magical Ministries across the US.

"-As we discussed at the beginning of last year, although the Washington base is the biggest, we face the more adversaries. Now, it has never been made clear why here in Pennsylvania we have been the key focus of the attacks, but it is wildly theorised it is because the density of Magical Families living within human neighbourhoods is higher.