Chapter Six

If someone was able to live within the permeameters of detention, Jai Parkinson and Elizabeth Avery would have moved in, unbeknownst to the other four of us, they both decided that becoming the most irritable troublemakers imaginable was their new desire in life.

Liylah and I think Elizabeth is acting out in the weeks since her disownment, roping Jai into her rebellion with little resistance, that boy loves causing trouble and if I start sprouting grey hairs in the next four years, I know which two people I will be blaming. Thankfully they have both steered clear from anything too dangerous, and not to encourage their behaviour but the trouble has given me ample opportunities to practise spells to get them out of trouble.

"Can't study tonight though, I have detention with Professor Louve for locking Jai in the classroom over dinner yesterday" Elizabeth shrugs, scowling as Liylah smacks her hand away from the coffee again.

"I thought he had detention" Percy chokes out, Jamie patting his back with an amused smile. "You wicked girl, he was complaining all night about missing dinner"

"He created that reputation for himself" Jamie shrugs, fingers skimming mine as he grabs his mug. "Why'd you lock him in anyway?"

"Prick told me that him falling behind in class was my fault, as if I have any influence over the amount of work he does" She huffs, blowing a curl out of her eye. "I find time to do both, not my fault he can't do the same"

"Why not spend less time getting into trouble and more time prompting him to study like he is now?" Liylah suggests, fixing Percy's tie, and sending a disapproving glare her way.

"And how is that my problem?"

"Well, he didn't get into half as much trouble before you joined him" Liylah shrugs, I flicker my gaze towards Jamie in matching horror, just because we have all been thinking the same thing doesn't mean any of us were keen on broaching the issue with an emotionally volatile Elizabeth.

"Of course, as per usual, everything is my fault" She hisses, her knife and fork clattering against the dark oak table. "God forbid people be responsible for their own actions!"

Clearly shocked Liylah's jaw drops open, "Wait-", I try but to no one's surprise she is already up and marching furiously away from the table. Silently I am thankful I brought by books down with me, as our dorm will swiftly be turned into an anti-Liylah zone to which I have no desire to get involved in.

"I was only being reasonable" Liylah mutters, eyes shining as she gazes at the place Lizzie stormed from. "He has gotten in trouble more since she joined"

"She's his partner if anything" Percy shrugs, still shoving hash browns into his mouth amid the chaos. "All she was looking for was an outlet and he presented himself, he dug his own grave with falling behind with his school-work, she could suggest it but let's be honest, she was thrown out on Christmas"

"Percy!" I hiss, thwacking him over the head. "You cannot say that"

"It's true" He murmurs back, rubbing a hand over the place I hit, as if it had hurt much at all, I'm not entirely keen on hurting my friends. "Can't keep tiptoeing around it"

"Second that" Jamie nods.

"Honestly, you both are entirely insensitive" I huff, crossing my arms over my chest and setting focus back on Liylah. "You should apologise"

"For what? She's the one going off the rails like a nutcase" She replies, a bitter sneer sitting ugly on her soft features, making Jamie and Percy chuckle lightly.

"Honestly" I hiss, "You all need a lesson on friendship if that's the way you are going to treat her, I might agree that she isn't handling things well or making the soundest decisions but as Percy so eloquently put it, she was disowned, on Christmas! Before you all start being assholes maybe think about how you would feel having your family abandon you leaving you with nowhere but this school. And then to make matters worse, the people she has left all decide she's a nutjob with no regard for other people" I rant. "I thought better of all of you, she was right to walk away"