Part Four - Chapter 68

"How is your search for Loki?" Odin asks Thor who's kneeling to his father at the bottom of the golden steps.

"I have not recovered him yet but I will find him father. I swear it to you."

"Go, you are dismissed." Odin waves him off and Thor stands, strolling out of the throne room and down the halls of the palace until he comes to his chambers.

Just as he's about to close the door to his quarters, he spots Loki wandering the hall seemingly in search of something. Thor's eyes widen and he tries to get Loki's attention.

"Loki." Thor hisses, signaling the god to him.

"Brother, have you seen—" Loki is cut off as Thor yanks him into the room and slams the door.

"Where have you been?! Father has been looking all over for you!" Thor exclaims.

"I'm sure he is seeing I escaped his little dungeon twice now." Loki snickers.

"Brother, what are you on about? Father is angered at your involvement with Evelyn's life." Thor explains and Loki's eyes go wide.

"She lives? I've been looking for her for decades now and you tell me I have seen her?"

"You do not remember?" Thor asks and Loki's brows knit together.

"Remember what?" Loki demands.

"Brother, you found Evelyn years ago. You traveled to earth and tormented her. You—you did vile things to her." Thor explains as Loki takes a staggering step back.

"No—no I... how do I not remember?" Loki asks as he looks to Thor with pleading eyes.

"You seeked the help of an immortal being, one who I believe had come to manipulate you into a monster. I know you would never consciously hurt her brother. It's alright, you can be forgiven."

"How can you possibly speak of fictitious things like forgiveness? I-I hurt her." Loki speaks with so much resentment towards himself that it hurts
Thor deeply to hear such emotion from his brother.

"I deserve punishment. I will go in front of father and beg for death." Loki decides.

"Brother no! You cannot! You must know that your actions and thoughts were tainted with the magic of a manipulator. You were not free of choice."

"But it was by my hand that she was hurt so! You should be appalled by my actions, disgusted by my very being." Loki shouts.

"The only disgust I feel is for your hatred toward yourself brother."

_______

"What are we doing?" I ask as Bucky leads me down the path of trees in the landscape of the compound.

"I may or may not have planned a picnic for my best girl." Bucky grins as he looks over his shoulder at me before stopping in the middle of a clearing.

The space is large and open, multitudes of green trees surrounding the open patch of grass like a protective circle. A blanket is laid out and blades of grass dance, the soft breeze a whisper of encouragement.