Part One - Chapter 21

"Evelyn who was that guy?" Tony asks.

Everyone's gathered in the living room to listen.

"He was my handler. When I was kidnapped by Hydra, they erased my memories, they made me forget my family. They made me believe Viktor was my father. I went along with them and listened to them because I believed Hydra was my family. I did anything to protect them. I killed, tortured, hurt...I destroyed so many family's lives."

"You were forced to do those things, that wasn't you." Bucky says softly as I lean into him, needing someone to ground me as I open up about my past.

"When I failed them, I was punished. They wouldn't just hurt me, they'd kill me slow and painful so that I would learn my lesson. What they didn't know was that every time they killed me, bits and pieces of my memories would come back. They figured it out a few weeks later and I was put in isolation for months because I lied to them. After that, they made sure to wipe my mind every time they killed me."

"Oh babydoll." Bucky whispers as he wraps his arms around me.

"How did they know you had your memories back?" Sam asks.

"I refused to kill a child."

"How did you escape?" Steve asks.

"A guard messed up, he didn't lock the door."

"What about your memories?"

"When the guard forgot to lock me in isolation, they had just killed me. The guard was stupid and thought I wouldn't be awake for hours, obviously, I wake just a few minutes after I die. They didn't yet wipe my mind so some of my memories came back and that's when I escaped. If that guard didn't leave the door open, I would probably still be with Hydra."

Bucky's grip around me tightens.

"Okay, well, let's find this Viktor douche and get rid of him." Tony says as he stands up.

"No way in hell am I letting you go after him!" I exclaim as I jump to my feet.

"I don't think you understand, you just said he tortured you!"

"I don't think you understand. Viktor isn't like the billion other Hydra assholes you've taken down. He's stronger, smarter, and faster than anyone I've ever met. He'll kill you without a second of hesitation."

"Thanks for the warning, but I'm Iron man." Tony smirks smugly, moving to leave the room.

"Stark sit your ass down!" I yell.

Tony huffs, crosses his arms, and collapses back onto the couch like a child who didn't get what they wanted.

"Viktor is one of the most dangerous people I have ever met. He's a straight up lunatic. He's ruthless, cunning, and he doesn't care about anyone but himself."

"We've handle people like this before." Wanda speaks up.

I shake my head. "Viktor is a sadistic psychopath and I'll be damned if I let any of you guys get hurt because of him." I leave the room, unable to keep talking about that vile man.

___

"What are you doing?" Bucky asks as he stands in my doorway.

"Leaving." I state simply as I throw clothes into the open suitcase on my bed.

"Excuse me?" Bucky furrows his brows as he walks towards me. "What the fuck do you mean you're leaving?"

I turn to face him. "If Viktor really is back then he's looking for me and I am just leading him right to you guys, so, I have to leave." I turn back around and continue throwing things in the suitcase.

"Evelyn, you're not leaving. There is no way I am letting you face him alone. You said it yourself, he's smart. It would be stupid of him to try and attack the Avengers."

"Bucky please—"

"No. You are staying here. We'll protect you, I'll protect you, I promise." Bucky says.

And that's what worries me, I know he'll protect me even if it means death for himself. That's why I have to leave, I'd rather die a hundred times than see Bucky or anyone else in this place dead. They're my family.

"Bucky, it would break me if one of you got hurt because of me. I can't let that happen."

"And I can't let you go alone."

"Please." I plead with him, desperate to get him to understand this fear.

"We'll figure out a way to take him down, we always figure it out. Just please, don't leave." Bucky speaks after a few seconds of silence.

I close my eyes and sigh, knowing Bucky won't stop arguing with me until I agree.

"Alright." I whisper, "I'll stay."

I lift my arms and wrap them around Bucky's neck as he wraps his around my waist. I give him a quick peck on the lips before hugging him tightly. One of his hands move to the back of my head and stroke my hair as he holds me just as tight.

___

I'm laying in Bucky's bed, his flesh arm draped across me, my eyes wide open. I've been staring at the ceiling for the past hour, trying to fall asleep. I sigh and carefully move Bucky's arm so I can slip out of bed. I sneak past the door and quietly made my way downstairs to the kitchen. I grab a glass of water and walk aside the kitchen island when my head suddenly starts throbbing. My free hand goes to my forehead as the pain intensifies.

I groan as the hand holding my head moves to grab onto the kitchen counter for support. I cry out as the pain worsens and I drop my water. The glass cup shatters against the tile, sending shards of glass gliding across the floor. My hands hold my head, praying for the pain to stop. It only gets worse. I let out a sob when it gets worse and I drop to my knees.

It feels like my head's going to explode, the pain is so intense I think I might pass out. It was as if someone was beating a thousand drums in my  head all at once.

"Eve?" Wanda's voice cuts through the pain and I raise my eyes to find her standing a few feet away, worry lining her face.

"Something's wrong." I whimper, a single tear falling down my cheek.

Wanda waves her hand, the glass scattered around the floor disappears and she lowers herself to kneel in front of me. She closes her eyes and places her hand on my forehead. A few seconds pass and the pain dissipates as she removes her hand.

"What was that?" I whisper.

"I think it was repressed memories that were locked away with magic or something similar to magic. It was most likely dug up from talking about everything that happened with Hydra. You just need to sleep." She smiles softly as she tucks a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Don't tell Bucky. He'll freak out." I say softly.

"I won't." Wanda says as she stands up and pulls me to my feet. "Let's watch a movie. It'll help keep your mind distracted."

And that's how the team finds us sleeping the next morning, Wanda and I holding each other on the couch under a heavy blanket.

_______________________________
Please comment and vote!