Part Three - Chapter 55

"Mr. Stark requires your presence in the laboratory." JARVIS' voice stirs me from my sleep and I realize Bucky and I fall asleep in the reading chair.

"What time is it?" I ask groggily as I rub the sleep from my eyes.

"It's a quarter till noon."

"Tell Tony I'll be there soon." I reply as I carefully get up from Bucky's arms.

I pick up my book that had fallen and put it back onto my shelf before quietly leaving the room. I don't want to wake Bucky, knowing he hasn't been getting enough sleep lately. I shake off the remnants of sleep as I enter the lab to find Tony and about a hundred different projects thrown about the room.

"Jarvis said you needed to see me?" I say, gaining Tony's attention.

"Yes, come here." Tony beckons me over. "I think I know how to find out what's going on with you." Tony answers as he quickly types something out on his keyboard.

"And?"

"I'll need to run some more tests just to be sure but I'm gonna warn you now, it's gonna take a while and some of the trials will be less than comfortable."

"Of course they will." I mutter. "When do we begin?"

"Well, we could get started now but like I said, it's gonna take a good amount of time."

"Can't we do this tomorrow morning or something? I really don't wanna go through hours of testing today." I complain and Tony sighs.

"I guess but the sooner we do this the faster I can help you."

"Great, I'll see you here in the morning." I smile before spinning on my heel and leaving the lab.

I'm passing through the kitchen when my vision blurs, my head abruptly dizzy. I reach out and grip the kitchen counter to steady myself as I press my other hand to my head in hopes it will stop. I squeeze my eyes shut and a vague image plays past my line of sight.

It's Bucky. Not the Bucky I know but the killer Hydra created, the Winter Soldier.

The image of him vanishes from my mind just as quick as it appeared, rendering me confused and disoriented

The image of him vanishes from my mind just as quick as it appeared, rendering me confused and disoriented. Before I can even try to grasp what just happened, a voice pulls me to reality.

"Doll?" Bucky's worried voice echoes as two hands cup my face, your vision restoring slowly.

"What happened, are you okay?" Bucky questions as I blink away the image of the Winter Soldier and my eyes focus on Bucky's concern-written face.

"I'm-I'm okay." I nod half heartedly as Bucky pulls me into his arms.

"Christ doll, you scared the hell outta me." Bucky breathes as he holds me close.

___

Bucky will never admit it out loud but when he woke up in Evelyn's room without the feeling of her in his arms he freaked out. His eyes had immediately snapped open at the absent feeling of her warm body against his and with a mind like his, of course he feared the worst. It also didn't help that he had had another nightmare where she had met an untimely demise at the hands of Hydra just moments before waking alone.