Chapter 18: Killer Crossover

"Oh, you woke up really early today!" Denise said as she went to the kitchen and found Bryde sipping coffee while dressed in unfamiliar clothes with an adorable bedhead

"I slept early last night, Mom," Bryde lied through his teeth. Win had to drop him off really early so that no one in their house would notice that the sophomore didn't sleep in his room that night.

"Yeah, you must be really tired. You religiously practice and still have to study to maintain the cut-off grade for your scholarship. Don't you feel tired?" Denise said with a worried expression on her face as she sat on the chair across from where Bryde was seated.

"I enjoy what I'm doing, mom. And I get a lot of help and support from my professors and classmates if ever I miss a class because of the games. Everybody is so considerate of me," Bryde said in an unperturbed voice and it was the truth. Varsity players, especially men's basketball team members always get a huge amount of concession from professors just because they represent the school in the prestigious UAAP games. It's like being a local celebrity in magnitude.

"Well, I am just thinking if you can opt-out of the team for now? You are both scholars of the State University anyway, I can afford to pay for the both of you even without the varsity scholarship," Denise said in a tentative tone and wasn't surprised when her son looked at her with utter shock in his handsome face.

"Mom, you know I don't want to burden you with something that I can do for myself," Bryde said empathically after he recovered from the initial shock to his mother's words. Why so sudden? What's wrong with Mom? She knows that basketball is my passion, why would she want to take me out of the team? Did Love tell her anything? But Love doesn't know anything yet. Bryde's thoughts are jumbled in his head at the moment.

"And I told you that no matter how old you are, I will still be your mother. It's still my responsibility to give you the best that I can offer," Denise said sincerely and Bryde cocked his head to the side before eyeing his mother with suspicion.

"Mom, are you dating again?" Bryde asked pointedly and Denise covered her mouth in shock at her son's question.

"No! Why would you say such a thing? I only love your father. He was my first and last love," Denise said with an offended tone.

"It's just that, you're acting kind of weird, mom," Bryde said pointedly before sipping on his coffee. Win's pajamas were a little loose on him but it felt comfortable plus it smelled like Win so that is another plus point.

"That's because I haven't had my morning coffee yet. So, how's Love's driving lesson going?" Denise asked suddenly to divert the subject as she approached the percolator which is still half-filled with coffee.

"I don't know, Mom. Win is the one teaching her to drive not me," Bryde said in a sulking tone and Denise just smiled in amusement as she took a coffee mug from the cupboard and filled it with coffee.