Chapter 10: Zone Defense

Zone defense - a method of defense, especially in basketball and football, in which each member of the defensive team guards a specified portion of the playing area as opposed to the man-to-man defense.

"Come on, Mick! Play with me for a while," Win called out to his younger brother as the latter approached the outdoor half-court where Win is practicing by his lonesome. It was already past 9 in the evening and their mother was already worried that Win hasn't come home yet.

"Why do you insist on calling me that name? My name is Arken and not Mickey!" Arken said in a slightly irritated tone as he came closer to his sweaty older brother.

"But you still look like Mickey Mouse even if you're all grown up," Win said teasingly as he ruffled the younger man's hair.

"What's with the sudden interest in basketball, Kuya? This was never your sport," Arken brushed off win's sweaty hand from his hair.

"Well, I thought that I needed to find a new sport after football, you know?" Win said in a slightly uneasy tone as he picked up the basketball again.

"You didn't have to give up football completely. You can always apply for the men's football team," Arken said with his arms crossed over his chest, looking at Win closely.

"I am already with the men's basketball team," Win huffed as he started to dribble the ball the way Bryde taught him to.

"They must be desperate for a big man, huh?" Arken said in a mocking tone and Win suddenly halted what he was doing.

"Hey! What are you implying?" Win said in an offended tone as he picked up the basketball.

"Your skills suck, Kuya. How are you going to win games with that dribbling?" Arken said in an exasperated tone. He has seen Win shine as a football player and he couldn't understand why his older brother chose to leave the sport just like that.

"That is why I'm practicing. Practice makes perfect, right?" Win said in a miffed tone as he threw the ball at Arken and the latter effortlessly caught it with one hand.

"If you say so, here, catch the ball, with your hands, huh?" Arken said before throwing the ball hard at Win, narrowly missing the latter's face because Win caught the ball at the last second.

"Hey, take it easy!" Win admonished his younger brother who just shrugged his shoulders in response.

"If you can't receive a short-range pass like that, how can you receive a long-range pass?" Arken said in a slightly taunting tone and Win's eyes grew wide as saucers.

"Do they do that?" Win said in genuine disbelief and Arken rolled his eyes empathically.

"Why did you ever join a sport you are clueless in? You should watch some games with me and Dad sometimes," Arken said as he sat down on a nearby bench.