Chapter 12: Twin Towers

Disclaimer:

This is purely a work of fiction. The names of real persons, places, and organizations used in this chapter are for creative purposes only and in no way reflect real-life interactions and connections between said personalities. The other names used in this chapter are also fictional and similarities to any person living or otherwise are purely coincidental. Everything written in this chapter is just a product of the author's penchant for the dramatic and the creative.

I do not own any of the pictures and videos used here. 

"Koronadal, 6 fouls," The crowd holding yellow streamers and flaglets cheered loudly while the maroon crowd groaned in disappointment. Martin clenched his fist in anger as he marched off the court amidst jeers and cheers from the crowd. Mike had to be sent in to fill the void left by Martin's early departure from the game.

Coach Guy didn't say a word when Martin sat at the far edge of the bench. The Bulldogs are still up with less than 6 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter with the score at 88-85. Martin and Bryde's twin tower combination did wonders on the defensive side but Martin incurred one foul after another in his eagerness to score more. Guy is debating on whether they should go smaller and faster. He also has to rest Bryde who has been breathing through his mouth for the last couple of minutes.

"Timeout!" Guy immediately said after the opponent scored another goal, padding the lead to 5 points.

Win watched anxiously as his weary teammates started to trudge towards their bench. The freshman was especially worried for Bryde who looked like he was going to collapse from fatigue. He wanted to volunteer to substitute for Bryde so the sophomore can rest even for a brief period but he didn't want to impose on Coach Guy. He is a newbie player after all.

"Team, listen to me. We will have to go small for the next couple of minutes, Bryde needs to rest for a while too so Mike would be our center for the meantime," Guy explained sternly, and almost everybody side-eyed Win who still looks fresh and clean while the rest of them are all tired and sweaty.

"How about Win? He hasn't played at all," Joss pointed out and Luke was quick to subtly nudge him with his elbow so the half-Thai freshman just bit his lip tersely.

"I don't think he is ready," Guy said flatly and Win felt a sharp stab of frustration pierce his heart. So, all that pep talk was for nothing? Why did they even get me for this team if they wouldn't give me minutes? Win thought angrily but said nothing. He didn't want to sound like he is the hero of the team when he couldn't even perfect his dribbling.

"Why not give him a try, Coach? We have nothing to lose here," Mike suggested.

"I can't risk it. What if he commits grave mistakes? The entire community would be looking down on him," Guy said half-heartedly as if he is also trying to convince himself.