Chapter 8: Field Goal

"Bryde! I'm glad I was able to catch you," Win panted as he alighted from his car

"Bryde! I'm glad I was able to catch you," Win panted as he alighted from his car. Bryde was bent over the bench tying his shoelaces. The freshman grabbed his backpack before running towards the sophomore.

"Why? I wasn't falling in the first place," Bryde said as he straightened up to look at Win with an impassive face.

"Why are you being an asshole so early in the morning?" Win mumbled as he came to a stop beside Bryde with his heavy backpack half-slung over a shoulder.

"And what are you doing here so early in the morning? Your class isn't about to start until 7 am, right?" Bryde said as he fiddled with his phone, avoiding eye contact with the tall freshman.

"Hey, you remembered!" Win slightly beamed at this conclusion.

"Because you wouldn't be here so early if it wasn't," Bryde said as he strapped on the phone holder to his left bicep.

"Actually, I was hoping that I can talk to you before you go on your morning jog," Win said in a shy tone as he twiddled his thumbs, his backpack hanging heavier from one of his shoulders at the thought of what's inside them.

"Why? Missed me already?" Bryde said in an impassive tone and Win stammered out a hasty retort.

"Presumptuous asshole! I promised to lend you my soccer cleats, right?" Win said between gritted teeth, trying to hide his discomfort behind projected anger.

"Oh, I thought you weren't serious yesterday," Bryde said in that cool voice of his as he cocked his head to the side, enjoying the view of the flustered freshman who was now clutching at his backpack as if his life depended on it.

"I'm always serious," Win said sulkily before adding something inside his mind. Especially when it's about you. Damn! What the fuck is happening to me? Why am I so concerned about this fucker when he doesn't treat me right at all? Have I become a martyr all of a sudden? Am I too desperate for an older brother? Win thought inwardly as he debated on whether to lend this man his gear or let him play with what he has.

"I am not so sure coming from you, so let's see what you got there," Bryde said as he pointed to Win's backpack which the latter was hugging tightly now. The comment seemed to galvanize Win to action as he finally looked up at Bryde's face and opened the zipper of his backpack.

"I also brought my old uniform and some protective gears," Win said as he handed Bryde the plastic bag that he meticulously put together last night.

"Wow! Are you that excited to see my ass get beaten later?" Bryde said in an amused tone but his face remained emotionless.

"Of course, but you have to get beaten in style. You would be carrying my surname this time," Win said as Bryde pulled out the uniform with IBARRA emblazoned at the back.

"You're returning the favor, huh? Why 21?" Bryde asked with genuine interest as he surveyed each item inside the plastic bag.

"Uhm, my lucky number and also my birthdate," Win pulled out the plastic bag containing the soccer cleats from his backpack. He was so engrossed in what he was doing that he didn't catch the fond smile that momentarily crossed the sophomore's lips before disappearing back into that stoic façade when Win lifted his head to look at Bryde.