thirty.

————————————————————————————
Y U N H O

on seonghwa's confirmation, everyone was left stunned and silent. the silence started hurt my eardrums while i watch the screen, as i was about to space out.

"h-hey..." wooyoung broke the silence, speaking through his earpiece. "what do you mean hongjoong is dead, you're joking right?"

"hongjoong's dead?!" mingi exclaimed.

san quickly rushed to hongjoong's side to check his pulse one more time. "come on hongjoong you've got to be kidding me you can't die on your birthday." he said while checking for any signs of life.

"it's his birthday?!" seonghwa exclaimed before bursting into tears. his grip on hongjoong's hand tightened as he brought it close to his cheeks. "happy birthday you idiot."

we were left speechless. we don't know how to even react. but one thing's for sure. we're upset about this even though we have bad experiences with hongjoong in the past. to be frank i'm not thinking about the hongjoong we initially knew, but rather i'm currently thinking about the hongjoong that we've been with for days in preparation for this mission. he was easily misunderstood, carefree, goofy. all i can picture right now are his smiles and the face of determination he's shown to us in the last few days.

"i can't believe we lost him."

"they say hongjoong don't die easily... but why?" yeosang mumbled, watching the screen as we heard the cries of seonghwa and san.

jongho answered. "hongjoong came in the bathroom to hide but hyujin's men managed to find him. we couldn't see what happened inside. it took a while for him to come out and he came out badly hurt. it obviously looked like he lost a lot of blood. it was so unlucky of him for him to meet with hyujin at a bad state."

junyoung in the other hand seemed relaxed.

"junyoung, aren't you too relaxed?—" that's until i noticed the tear falling from his eye. his eyes are starting to turn red from trying hard not to cry.

gently, i put a hand on his back and started patting him. it's my indirect way of saying it's okay to cry. he then sniffled and wiped his tears.

san on the other hand is now furious at hyujin who's being handcuffed. "i'll kill you. i'll fucking kill you." he said while being restrained by hongjoong's bodyguards, telling him to calm down.

junyoung cleared his throat. "san— i mean boss. i need you to calm down. as the next in line for the position you should act like how the head of the kim group should be."

san started to calm down as realization hit him.

along with hongjoong's bodyguards, junyoung lightly bowed. "we are now under your direct command... boss."

——————————
S E O N G H W A

— eight months later

months had passed since hongjoong's passing. san finally became the head of the choi group (formerly known as the kim group). nothing has changed in the mansion at all. not a single change is evident except for the atmosphere itself. it turned gloomier than usual and the mansion feels empty without hongjoong and his silly antics.