CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

Start from the beginning

‘Shit.’ A voice I don’t recognize breathes in astonishment about the mess in front of him. ‘Did they even have to do all this?’

I hear them step through the apartment and I try so much to hold my breath whenever there falls a silence.

‘They probably wanted to scare her.’ Another voice replies and I cannot ignore the sadness in the voice from the man I swear I heard before. I decide to get a glimpse of the two men in the apartment and when I do, I immediately notice the dark quiff of Zayn.

And I need to contain the urge to beat the crap out of him.

‘Problem with Evelyn is that she’s not easily scared, unfortunately.’ I see him pick up a chair effortlessly and place it under the table again, definitely failing in making this look any better. He’s right though, about Evelyn, I should give him that.

The other man is someone I have never seen before. His hair is a dark brown colour and all over the place. He has a 2-3 day beard, just like Zayn has and his tattoos do not go unnoticed. They both are dressed in black clothes, probably something they’re used to from all the robbing and I suddenly cannot hide my feeling of disgust.

‘Did Niall text already?’ Zayn asks again. But the other lad shakes his head while checking his phone one last time. It causes Zayn to sigh in frustration before he takes out his own phone and I cannot miss the smashed screen of his. ‘I’m going to call her one last time, maybe her phone is somewhere in the apartment.’ I hear him say while looking down at the screen.

Shit.

For one split second my brain forgot how to even put a phone on silent, until I remembered Evelyn has an iPhone and I quickly am able to turn the volume off by the little switch on the side of the phone. Suddenly I feel even more proud of talking her into getting one of these than I already was before.

I see the screen light up, but it doesn’t make any sound.

And suddenly I jump up because of Zayn’s booming voice through the apartment, only giving me a glimpse of how angry he is right now. ‘If Harry only took a bit more care of her, this wouldn’t even have FUCKING HAPPENED!’

He. Did. Not. Just. Say. That.

Before I know it I jump from behind the closet and feel myself attacking him with my fist forward, more angry than I ever felt in my entire life. ‘YOU FUCKING BASTARD BLAMING THINGS ON ME WHEN YOU OBVIOUSLY ARE THE REASON SHE’S EVEN GONE.’ I shout at him while punching him in his jaw.

Shit. That hurt.

Immediately the brown haired lad pulls a gun and I cannot help but roll my eyes because of the irony. Why do these things keep happening to me.

Zayn’s eyes are wide when he looks at me, his one hand on his jaw and the other hand signing to the guy with the gun that he has to hold himself.

‘Harry.’ Zayn says in disbelief.

‘Zayn.’ I growl back at him, feeling my fist sting.

‘Louis lower the gun.’ Zayn orders his friend to do. So that’s the Louis Evelyn talked about. Well… That makes sense.

‘Hell no. He punched you!’ Louis replies in disgust.

‘Well, I deserved it.’

I cannot hold my laugh back at that statement. ‘Glad we agree on one thing then.’ My voice filled with sarcasm.

We are standing in a triangle. My eyes fixated on Zayn. Louis eyes on me. And Zayn torn between me and his friend who still didn’t lower his gun.