⤜Chapter-7⤛

Merida paces around the library

Merida paces around the library. Bette is looking around for books which could give us information. And I am just staring at the two, lost in my thoughts. We had been sitting here for hours. The only words Merida had said after we had arrived were "Let's sit at the library".

I hear a loud thud and I snap out of my thoughts.

I see a frustrated Bette standing with about twelve thick books on the table in front of her. She picks one and she goes over it.

"Merida", I start but she cuts me off.

"Not now, Cassia. I need to figure out who The Sorceress was talking about."

She scrunches her chin. "Who would dare to betray her?"

"It was-", I start.

"Cassia, not now"

"You need to-"

"What?", she snaps. Bette looks up from her book.

"It was me. I was the one who betrayed her."

I can only hear silence. Bette looks at Merida, but Merida keeps examining me.

"What?", I hear Bette's awestruck whisper.

"I ran away rather than ruling the kingdom."

"Every witch knows that", Merida says. "How did you betray her?"

I think back to that day, a day before I had run away. I once again get lost in my thoughts, in my past.

"I-it doesn't matter", I say distantly. "I just did."

Merida nods considering it. "It's decided then. You are not leaving here. It's too dangerous out here. Your mother has great powers, she saw right through your disguise."

"We cannot do that", I say as I stand up. "I cannot betray my brother. The girl he loves is dying as we speak. I am the only one who can save them."

"You don't care about the girl. Don't pretend otherwise, Cassia."

"But I care about my brother. I'm sure you noticed how much he loves her, how much he cares for her. I cannot let him down. He is the only real family I've ever had!"

I sit down and cross my hands.

"But your mother is out there! She is waiting for you. She wants to get to you. What if she harms you? No witch is strong enough to face her."

"But Cassia is not a witch.", Bette says quietly.

Of course. It dawns to me that greys have powers greater than that of witches.

Merida rushes frantically to a bookshelf at the back of the library. After a minute or two, she comes back huffing, carrying a huge red book, about half her size.