Chapter Fifteen

Aylah ran through the coarse woods, leaves crunching beneath her feet as Orhan ran by her side, matching her pass. "Do you... think we lost them?" Orhan panted out but still kept his pace. Aylah glanced behind her, while no one seemed to be there, she heard their heavy footsteps follow. 'Morons,' She thought, 'Didn't anyone teach them the first rule of hunting?' 

"Keep going," Aylah urged, "They're still behind us," They'd been running for what seemed like hours now, through the thick forest filled. Aylah didn't exactly know how they had gotten themselves into this situation, but what she did know was that they were being chased by bloodthirsty bandits. 

Aylah skidded to a stop, bracing her hand against the bark of a tree. Aylah listened carefully, the footsteps had slowed, but hadn't stopped. "Remind me, whose idea was this?" Orhan asked, leaning back and trying to catch his breath. "Yours," Aylah retorted breathlessly, making the dark-eyed boy scoff. 

"Really? You're the one who brought us here," "I did, but I recall you whining about how you were bored and wanted to go do something," Aylah pointed out, mockingly in a squeaky voice. Orhan scowled, "I don't sound like that," Aylah stuck her tongue out at him, "Yes, you do, now keep running."

Orhan rolled his eyes, running a hand through near midnight-colored hair, and started running once more.  But, Aylah grabbed his arm, and turned around, "Do you hear that?  Orhan frowned and nodded once, "Got any arrows?" 

Orhan handed Aylah one of his arrows, which she very carefully knocked onto her bow. "Make a shot, and then we're out of here," "And if I miss?" Orhan gave her a sideways glance, "Seriously? Are you trying to jinx yourself or something?" 

Aylah said nothing back and focused her arrow, hearing the footsteps trample the ground. "Hold..." Orhan said quietly as they saw the bandits, "Hold..." They were coming closer, "Hold..." They could see them clearly now, "Fire!" 

Aylah let her arrow loose, and it found its target in the center of the leader's chest. "Now, run!" Both kids turned around and bolted, leaving the bandits trying to comprehend what exactly had just happened. Aylah and Orhan ran back to their horses and straight back to the tribe. 

"Where have you guys been?!" Osman Bey asked as the two hopped off their horses in the tribe. "And why didn't you bring us with you?" Melike interjected, making Osman turn around, and give her a look.

"We were just outside the tribe, not that far," Orhan reasoned, but Osman shook his head, "Next time, ask me." Osman rubbed his hand over his eyes, "Whatever it may be, the bey's from the neighboring tribes will be arriving very soon. So both of you need to go change, so you look presentable." 

Aylah went back to her family's tent where her mother and little brother were. "But, I don't want to wear it!" Savci whined as Gonca smoothed down his dark, feathery hair, "Savci, Ogul'm, it's cold outside, you have to wear your hat." 

It was nearing winter, a chilling breeze was almost always in the air. Gray clouds loomed as leaves were picked up and carried away with the wind. Some may call it gloomy weather, but Aylah loved it. It was her favorite time of the year. 

"But, I don't want to!" 

"If you don't wear your hat, you can't go play outside," Gonca warned, and Savci pouted, his eyes looking much like his father's. "Okay..." Gonca smiled at him, fixing the hat on his head, and kissing the top of his head. 

"Aylah, where have you been?" Gonca asked, eyeing her muddied clothes, "I blame Orhan, it was 100 percent his idea," Aylah declared and her mother chuckled, shaking her head, "Of course, you do." 

 Aylah put on the clothes her mother had picked out for her, this one was a light blue colored dress with warm sleeves, perfect for the chilly weather. 

"Come on, Savci!" Aylah called, holding her hand to her little brother who skipped up to her, holding two of her fingers. 

As soon as they stepped outside, Savci scrunched his nose at the cold breeze, "Cold." Aylah grinned down at him, "It's not that cold, kardesh'm," Savci only shook his head, covering his nose with the end of his sleeve. 

"Hey," Kayi greeted as they walked to the center of the tribe, meeting up with the twins. "So, who's coming?" Kayi asked Melike, who shrugged, "A bunch of beys, apparently, I'm not sure who exactly. But, what I do know is that we must show what angelic and obedient children we are." 

Kayi snorted, "Well, I hope you're a good actor."

Orhan snickered, "Yeah, what if they ask about your infamous record of stealing weapons?" 

Melike crossed her arms, "I'll play dumb."

Kayi cleared his throat, trying to keep from laughing, "I don't think that'll be very difficult." 

"Kayi!" 

The three burst into laughter as Melike scowled at them, "You're going to pay for that one, Kayi Alp." "I'm sorry, but it was too good of a chance to pass upon," said Kayi, struggling to get his laughter under control. 

Melike scowled again, walking over to Kayi and kicking him in the shin, "Ow!" "That's what you get," Melike smiled in satisfaction as Kayi winced. 

"Osman Emmi," Kayi called as Osman walked outside, "Yes?" He replied, stopping in front of them. "Your daughter is bullying me, she kicked me." 

Osman only chuckled, "Good luck with that." Osman went to stand in the center of the tribe, up in front of the guards as the tribe's drums began to beat. 

"So," Orhan said, clapping his hands together, "Ready for some social interaction?" 

"No," Kayi replied at the same time Aylah said, "Never." 

"It can't be that bad," Melike mused and Aylah rolled her eyes. "Easy for you to say, as soon as someone bothers you once, you make fun of them until they want to cry." 

Melike shrugged, "It does work though, I only do it if they truly deserve it." 

"Well, here they come now, so let's put those acting skills to the test." 

A/N: Woo hoo another chapter done. I hope you all are doing well.

Pakistan made it to the semi-final of the world cup today, which is awesome. Pakistan Zindabad 

I actually don't have that much to say, but let me know if you guys have any suggestions for this bey meeting thing. 

Salaam and Have a great day!

-Laraib