Chapter Nine

They had stopped in a cave for the night, planning their next move. Aylah was fast asleep, head turned into her father's arm, peacefully. The twins sat on either side of Osman, quietly sleeping. Kayi talked to Cerkutay off to the side, brows knit in concentration.

"What do they want, Bey?" Goktug asked, keeping his voice lowered, and Osman sighed. "Genghis Khan's laws, They presumed since I had the dagger, I was the one who had the missing part." Gunduz raised an eyebrow skeptically, "You don't have it, do you?"

Osman glanced at his brother, "I do have it, that's the problem. It doesn't matter if I give it to them, they're going to attack the tribe anyway." "Then, what are we going to do?" Osman thought for a moment before stepping outside to talk to his brother alone. 

Boran glanced down at his daughter, whose brows were furrowed like she was trapped in a bad dream. 

Aylah looked around in fear, only to see the darkness spreading in every direction. She turned around frantically, hoping to see something, anything. Aylah could hear nothing, but the repetitive beating in her chest.

Everything was bleak, but she trembled in fear, of something she couldn't even see. Then, she heard shouts. It was to recognize at first, the sounds making her ears ring. 

Then she understood the voices, first her friends. Orhan, then Kayi, then Melike. Then her parents, and then Savci. 

"Abla! Help me!" 

He sounded so scared, so real. Aylah tried to move her feet, but she was held in place, the voice-only got louder and louder. She clasped her hands to her ear and shouted out.

"STOP! JUST STOP!" 

Aylah woke up with a start, breathing heavily. "Hey, hey, it's okay, Aylah. You're okay," Her father said gently, turning her head so she was looking at him. Boran's face was full of worry, "What happened, Aylah'm?" 

Aylah didn't say a word and buried her face into her father's chest, hiding. Boran frowned but didn't press it, instead rhythmically stroking her back, trying to calm her down. 

The next morning when Aylah woke up, everyone but Kayi was already awake. Her father was talking to Osman Bey in lowered voices, stress evident on both men's faces. "Hey, Aylah! Gunaydin!" Orhan chirped happily, scooting over to her. 

Aylah rubbed her eyes, "Hey, Orhan," She said blandly and the boy frowned. But, it was soon replaced by a determination to cheer her up. "Wanna go wake up Kayi?" Orhan asked, and Aylah grinned, nodding.

They went over to where Kayi was sleeping, crouching down on either side of him like they were going to whisper in his ear. Instead, they both shouted, "WAKE UP, KAYI!!"

The poor boy was startled awake, jumping up with yell as his friends laughed. Kayi ran a hand over his eyes, "You guys suck." Boran turned around, smiling in relief to see his daughter laughing. 

Then, Gunduz entered the cave, behind him was Aktemur and a girl Aylah had never seen before. She was slightly shorter than Aktemur with light gray almond-shaped eyes.  Both of them were no longer wearing Mongolian armor, rather plain leather armor without any tribal markings. 

"Selam Aleykum," Aktemur greeted, pressing his palm to his chest. "Aleykum Salaam," Osman greeted happily, and his eyes flickered to the girl beside Aktemur. The young man took the cue to introduce her, "This is my friend, Aynur."

Gunduz wore a smirk the entire, which Aktemur pointedly ignored. They sat down for a moment as Osman asked some questions to the pair about their missions. "We kind of just became friends," Aynur said vaguely, making Aktemur turn to her, accusingly, "Friends is an overstatement, you tried to kill me!"

"Well, Aktemur, How was I supposed to know you were also a spy?" "By asking?" Aktemur retorted, and both Gunduz and Osman just looked between the two with a knowing smile. 

Right there and then,  Aylah decided it would be a great time to point out the bruise on Aktemur's face. "Did that happen after I punched you in the face yesterday?" 

Everyone was silent for a moment, and the twins started snickering. Aynur turned to Aktemur with a smirk, "Well, Well, Aktemur Bey, you didn't tell me that part of your amazing rescue plan."

Aktemur groaned at the tease, "Why did you have to bring that up, Aylah?" Aylah only smiled at him innocently as her father turned to her, eyebrow raised. "You punched him in the face?!" "Well, he told me to!" Boran then turned to Aktemur, who had his hand over his eyes.

"I needed a distraction, so they wouldn't be suspicious of what I was doing. So, I told someone to hit me!" Aynur snickered at his response, "That little girl's punch left that bad of a bruise, Aktemur Bey?"

"Stop calling me that!" Aktemur whined in annoyance, "No one ever calls me that."

 "You are a bey though," Aynor pointed out logically and Aktemur rolled his eyes. "Technically, I am, but I've never been a Bey."

"Still your title though," Aynur argued, and Aktemur chuckled. "It would make sense if anyone else said it. But, something so respectful coming from you doesn't sound right, Aynur."

Osman shook his head and chuckled at the conversation, before standing up with Boran. They were to retrieve the missing laws, before the morning. If they didn't make it in time, the tribe would be in ruins.  Gunduz, Goktug, and Cerkutay would remain behind and send word to Turgut Bey who was still in the tribe. 

Aylah ran up to Boran, hugging his legs making the alp smile before crouching down. "I'll be back soon, okay?" Aylah looked down, nodding slightly and Boran gently tilted her head up. "Keep your head up, Gul'm (my rose)."

A/N:  Awww Boran and Aylah's relationship is so cute. 

What do you guys think of Aktemur and Aynur? I think they're cool and I kinda want to be friends with them. 

I don't really have anything to say today so...

Salaam and Have a great day!