Trapped: Teaser

I have a new book! It's called trapped, as the title of this chapter suggests. It is a Jilly superhero au, though if I think about it it's more of a superpower thing. No ones a hero per say... But below this is a little preview of chapter one!

ALSO HUGE HUGE HUGE THANKS TO K1415100 FOR HELPING ME OUT WITH THIS! (Also highly suggest their jilly moments book, it's adorable)

The only sound in Jax's office was the occasional clacking of his keyboard. It was nearing midnight and the blond had no intention of leaving anytime soon, Senator Sebastian was expecting this paper bright and early. And Jax had been stupid enough to procrastinate... The election was right around the corner and everyone at the office has been stressing, what with the Deviant attacks becoming more frequent. Jax was sure FTRS was becoming quite full, he had seen at least ten attacks in the most recent paper.

They were becoming more violent, which isn't good for Sebastian's campaign. The burly man had been advocating for a peaceful approach for years, and it seemed to be going well. But his competition is a retired vet, who seemed to be all for killing every single Deviant. Jax didn't understand the hate that seemed to be aimed at those different from them, that's why he joined Sebastian. The man was truly a genius or at least his wife was. Jax had climbed the ranks quickly, with him already having close friendship with the Senator's daughter. Him and AG have been friends for as long as he could remember, and it's thanks to her that Sebastian even trusts him.

One thing Jax picked up from his years working with the family was that Belle, Sebastian's wife, was truly the mastermind behind it all. That woman terrified Jax in the best way, she could be handing you a cookie one minute and arguing (and winning) about politics the next. And AG had picked up all her tricks, it made her a perfect politician. Or she would have been if she hadn't decided to go back to college and get a teaching degree... Not that Jax was mad that she had her own dreams! He was happy for her, truly.

But he was getting sidetracked, and his train of thought was getting away from him, which was never a good sign. He stared at the screen, the cursor blinking at him awaiting his instruction. He was over halfway through, but this last bit had him stumped. It was about the good that Deviants could bring to the community, now actually providing an example wasn't hard. In truth it was actually the easiest part of the whole piece, the hard part was giving evidence that a Deviant would actually do what he suggested. The blond had gone through at least ten different articles, desperately searching for some type of writing that proved that some people used their abilities for the good of the community.

So far he'd found nothing. No one seemed to see the potential their campaign team saw, everyone was just afraid. Jax leaned back in his chair, his eyes feeling like they were burning from the uneven light in his room. He knew he should probably turn on some type of light but he had found he worked best in darkness. Jax threw his arms above his head, the crack of his back echoing throughout the large room. He winced at that... He hadn't realized how long he'd been sat at his desk. Jax could see the headlights of passing cars, each one sending a flicker of light through his curtains. The office was mainly empty and Jax's brain was fried. Who knew writing for hours at a time could do that to you...

It was times like these that Jax wished he kept something other than his computer in here, the guy in the office next to him had a basket full of things to play with. But he knew the man had locked his door when leaving and Jax wasn't going to break in just so he could have a toy. He wasn't that stupid. He pushed himself out of his chair, deciding the best option to cure his apparent writer's block was to pace across his floor. A classic if you asked him. Jax could feel his tennis shoes hit the carpet, a familiar rhythm. One that had yet to bring his mind any clarity...