38: Tell Me How

"I don't know."

That was all Obito said upon Kakashi asking him how he slaughtered those Mist ninjas singlehandedly.

"'I don't know'? Obito, how do you not know? You were the one who did it-- hell, all by yourself!" the Hatake couldn't believe that the Uchiha would answer with that.

Either he didn't want to spare the silver-haired boy the gruesome details, or it was just pure bloodlust at the time that he forgot all of a sudden after- it's still unforgivable. For Obito, the one who proposed the idea of becoming friends in the first place.

Obito was frowning, and with the lights on it was clearer than ever.

He glanced at Kakashi, but only for a second before sighing and closing his eye.

"I'm telling you the full truth, Kakashi," he started, his voice the admittance of everything.

Kakashi raised a brow when Obito opened his eye and put a finger under it with a strange look, as if reminiscing.

"My eye, it just suddenly hurt- that was it! And then, boom, I realized I was kneeling beside Rin's body, and then, and then--!"

"Your eye... Suddenly hurt...?" Kakashi mumbled, cutting Obito off, and loud enough for anyone in the room to hear. Kakashi touched the Sharingan eye as well, though it was closed.

Obito raised a brow. "Huh? You... look like you know something, Kakashi," Obito incquired cautiously, as if one wrong word would be his downfall.

The Hatake frowned again, his eyebrows knitting together, making lines appear on the bridge of his nose close to his forehead.

His dark eye darted from nowhere to Obito in an instant, giving the Uchiha boy an expression of confusion and suspicion.

"Obito, I... The same happened to me," he finally admitted after a minute of only the deafening silence in the room.

Obito's eyes widened, and he gawked at Kakashi. "What!? Your Sharingan eye...!?"

"Shhh!" Kakashi shushes him with a sound and a raised finger. "Keep it down!"

Obito immediately shuts up and straightens his back at the commanding tone of his teammate.

Kakashi sighed, "Anyway," his expression returned to serious. "Did your eye bleed, too?"

Obito's brows lifted and his eye showed confirmation.

"That's it. This is something different."

The Uchiha tilted his head at that. "What do you mean, 'something different'? It's probably something that just happened in the Sharingan. You know, something other Uchihas with the Sharingan can do to?" he stared at Kakashi's closed Sharingan eye. "It was in your Sharingan, right?"

After he spoke, Kakashi sighed, and closed his last open eye.

"No, Obito, that's..." he sighed again, and Obito was found confused. "It's not just some 'other Uchihas can do it too' kind of thing. Did you unlock any new... Ability, when you got it?"

Kakashi ended his speech with a question and that question made Obito's eye widen even more.

"That's..." he gulped, and gazed at Kakashi like he forgot a key detail from the slaughter.

"Kakashi..." he scratched the side of his head. "I don't know... I just remembered phasing through people... And then I snapped out of it and realized I was-"

"Yes, crouching over Rin's body..." Kakashi trailed off after continuing Obito's sentence for him.

Obito stared at him expectantly, as if the silver-haired Hatake knew what was going on.

Kakashi, as if reading Obito's mind, shook his head, and released a heavy sigh. "I don't know what's going on either, Obito."

Then, a light bulb flicked on inside his mind.

"But..."

"But?" Obito repeated with a frown of his own at the realization that they might not know what really happened to their eye.

Kakashi glanced at Obito once. "We might have a chance to know."

Obito tilted his head to the side in confusion until he suddenly got what his teammate meant.

"Really?" he asked, his eyes showing clear signs of worry.

Kakashi shrugged, closed the lights in their room, and laid down on the hospital bed.

"...it's the only way to know for sure."

-----

"Are you sure this is wise?" Obito asked again the next day while walking around in a black shirt with the Uchiha crest behind it.

Kakashi also wore a shirt which was light green but with the mask all the same; black.

They no longer walked with their Konoha headbands, and many civilians and Shinobi alike stared at them walking by with great unease.

Either they found out there was a slaughter of Mist ninjas from where they were from the other night, or were just unsettled at the strange sight of them not wearing the thing that they take pride of the most.

"That's my line, idiot." Kakashi responded sarcastically.

A tic mark appeared on Obito's forehead as he pouted. Kakashi just chuckled at him and continued walking.

If they were being honest, they would say that walking around without their ninja headbands were embarrassing, and un-like them in many ways.

And if the village found out that the Hokage himself de-ranked his own students and clan members at that, then they were up for more strange looks and different treatments.

The past and current Hokages only de-ranked ninjas for a reason, after all, and for ninjas that was much worse than execution.

After all, a ninja without a rank in the village of ninjas themselves is as useless as a street kitten close to death and without its mother.

Soon enough, as they walked silently thrpugh the streets, they reached the Uchiha compound.

"We're here." Kakashi stated.

Obito hummed, and nodded whilst staring at the black-haired Uchihas with the Uchiha paper fan crest on their backs walking and conversing around casually.

Many Uchiha saw them at the entrance but decided to ignore them as the news that Obito gave up his eye to Kakashi spread fast.

He was now the worst of the worst in the clan, since for the Uchiha it was a sin to hand a Sharingan to an outsider. Much more a pureblood Uchiha.

Obito sighed before taking more steps forward towards the compound.

When Kakashi wasn't walking with him, he turned around and faced the Hatake boy with a raised brow.

"What's wrong, Bakashi? Scared of a few Sharingan-users?" he asked with a smirk. Kakashi frowned at the tease in his tone and sighed, rubbing both his eyes with two fingers before continuing to walk beside the Uchiha boy.

"Not all Uchiha get their Sharingan early, even as teenagers, Dobe." it was Obito's turn to get annoyed with Kakashi.

Kakashi smirked under his mask while speed-walking towards the entrance without Obito.

He looked back at him and for a brief second opened his Sharingan eye to wink at him with the other. "I'm looking at the main example of that right now."

Obito groaned and ran to try and catch up to Kakashi who was already sprinting away from Obito's irritation and annoyance. Many Uchiha watched them with confusion as Obito started to scream.

"SHUT UP, BAKASHIIIIIII!!!"