26: Eye Surgery

Obito was finally asleep. Rin had been holding his hand the entire time he laid there, shuffling the sheets for a bit before finally deciding on his back and head facing the soft cushions.

The girl had almost fallen asleep as well if a med-nin didn't just suddenly barge in without knocking.

She politely shoved off the apologies as more med-nins went in.

They politely asked her to leave and she nodded her head, agreeing. She didn't want to see her best friends getting their eyes swapped. Or better yet, Obito losing an eye.

She went out and instead of leaving, sat on one of the chairs on the sides.

She can wait for them to finish the operation. After it's done, then maybe she can talk to her teammates again.

-----

Minato walked through the hospital halls just before he saw Rin sitting on one of the chairs around.

He approached her. "Rin." he greeted. The girl looked slightly surprised at his arrival judging from the look in her eyes, but the blonde couldn't blame her. She was worried for her teammates' health.

"Oh." she smiled sheepishly, "hi, sensei." she greeted back with a half-smile.

The blonde smiled back, nodded, and sat down beside her. He put his hands together, rubbing his thumbs on each other, eliciting a tiny bit of heat from both limbs.

"Look, Rin, I know you're worried for them." Minato started, looking at the wall in front of them.

Rin hummed and nodded, waiting for him to continue.

"Alright. Can you by any chance tell me where the ninjas who kidnapped you were from?" the blonde finally blurted it out.

It was fast, but Rin looked like a deer caught in headlights. That meant she heard it loud and clear.

Minato stared at her expectantly although most of his expectations were suppressed, knowing clearly that it was most likely traumatizing to remember seeing Obito's newly acquired Sharingan.

The Sharingan is unlocked through Trauma. Minato thought, before snapping his attention back to Rin who made a sound.

"The nin was from the Hidden Rock." she answered, voice low, but Minato had heard it.

So the Rock nins finally gathered the courage. He shook his head.

"Thank you for the information, Rin." he said with an unreadable expression. He started to stand up. "I'll get going now."

"Wait!"

Minato paused mid-way up. He looked back at Rin with a raised brow. "What is it, Rin?"

Rin's eyes slightly widened, as if she had forgotten her own words. Her lower lip twitched.

She looked away from his cerulean eyes. "I-...It's nothing, sensei. I just... I just thought I had something to say is all." she finally managed to stutter out.

Minato took it as a sign to leave. He nodded one last time before walking away with his hands in his pockets.

He wasn't at all happy with what happened to his students. Who knows what would have happened if Rin wasn't saved from the kidnapping.

Not to mention that Rin had told him earlier that a huge boulder almost hit them if they hadn't left right away.

He sighed, taking a hand out his pocket and rubbing his forehead, closing his eyes.

It's alright. Once I become Hokage... It'll be settled.

-----

Kakashi groaned when he finally came to.

His head hurt like hell. Something he's experienced usually when he lacked any form of rest.

He tried moving his arms, but it proved useless when he felt all his strength gone.

He sighed, accepting it. Before feeling his face in near-panic.

After feeling that he still had a mask on he sighed again, but this time in relief.

He tried to sit up.

"Kaka...shi...?"

He jolted. He was thoroughly surprised.

He used his one eye, turning to the side. On the other side, was another... Hospital bed? With... Obito, laying on it.

He had one eye open, the Sharingan he unlocked staring wide at his awakening. But only one.

"W-whew, you're awake." the young Uchiha stuttered and sighed the first word through his nose.

Kakashi gulped, feeling thirsty as he licked his lips.

He had only one eye open as he stared at the Uchiha.

Upon closer look, the Uchiha seemed to have gaped. "Woah..." he gasped. "Kakashi... You..."

Kakashi furrowed his brows, knitting them together. "what's wrong, Obito?" the silver-haired Hatake asked, raising a visible brow.

Now that he thinks about it, he didn't feel any bandages on his right eye. If they were in Konoha's hospital then surely they would've put a bandage over a useless eye.

And now that he also thinks about it, he had his eye open. The injured eye, his injured eye, was open.

His eye- no, his eyes widened.

He tried it out. "Obito, what-" he paused when he shut his original eye.

Obito smiled the exact time Kakashi realised it.

Kakashi's eyes widened even more.

"Obito... Don't tell me you-"

The Hatake's suspicions were cleared when the Uchiha smiled brightly in his direction.

"I did. Kakashi..." his smile got wider, and Kakashi only felt more regretful. "You have the Sharingan."