Chapter 11-Zaylor

During the campfire sing along, I went back to my cabin to pack for my quest. I pulled out the backpack I brought from home and opened the trunk at the end of my bed. A shadow slowly spread across my bed. I turned around to see none other than Skipper LeAnn.

"Hey, Skip," I said. "Whacha doin'?"

She pulled out her Celestial bronze/Imperial gold/Stygian black sword and started examining the tip, turning in back and forth in her fingers.

"We need to have a talk," she said. She resheathed her sword, gripped the hilt, and stared at me with those sad, cold purple eyes.

"Go on," I said.

"Your prophecy said when war rests, they'll be replaced by kin. Most demigods are, if they don't come back, killed or thought they were dead and left behind."

I waited for a moment. "So...?"

"The demigod that replaces war you'll find in a random place because they were left behind somewhere. When that one rests, they'll be left behind again."

I raised an eyebrow. "And...?"

She gripped my shoulder, which made me jump. "Listen, kid. Most of the time, when people follow prophecies exactly, someone dies. For example, Bianca diAngelo or Zoe Nightshade." She sighed and released my shoulder. "Look, what I'm saying is, don't follow the prophecy exactly, and no one will get hurt."

"I-I don't understand. Why would I not follow the prophecy? Isn't that not what they told us to do?"

"When war rests, the prophecy says they'll be replaced by kin, so don't replace war with a relative."

A paused for a moment, holded one arm, pointed tthe other at her, and said, "Wait, is this all part of some big plan of yours?"

She gripped my shoulder again. "No, but it could save a life." She let go. "You never know until it happens."

She reached into her backpack on her back and pulled out a zip-lock bag full of golden coins. She handed then to me. I turned the bag back and forth and examined the coins inside.

"Golden Dramacas," she said, watching me observe coins. "Use them to Iris message me. I'll guide you throughout your quest."

"Iris message? Is that, like, texting for demigods,or what?"

She thought about it for a moment. "I guess you could put it that way. It's a way to contact camp and campers."

"Okay, I'll ask Sydney later," I said, putting the bag in my backpack. I smiled. "Is that all you wanted me for? To warn me to not follow the prophecy and go against quest rules?"

She laughed, but with no humor. "Sometimes it goes like that for demiods."

She turned to a shadow to go, and I said, "Hey, you can talk to me if you want. You know, a friend-to-friend kind of conversation."

She stared at me, but I could tell she wasn't looking at me. "I don't talk, kid. I fight, and walk away."

"You mean 'run away'?" I stepped closer to her. "Skipper, I'm just trying to help."

She stared past me once again. Then laughed. "I've heard that one before."

Then she stepped back and disappeared into the shadows.