Chapter 34

Harry woke up to the sound of heavy breaths and sobs. It took him a minute to remember where he was and who he was with, but then he realized. Louis. He got up and walked to the couch where Louis was sleeping. He crouched down to be at Louis' level. This one was asleep but he was sobbing and the sight twisted Harry's insides. He wanted that to stop, he didn't want to see him crying.

He shook Louis' shoulder lightly, trying not to wake him up too abruptly, but Louis didn't budge and continued crying.

"Louis" Harry whispered, but Louis just shifted

Louis frowned in his sleep and shook his head. Harry brought a hand to his cheek, stroking it softly and wiping some tears away.

"Louis" he tried again. no answer "Lou" he said louder

Louis' eyes opened and he sat up quickly like he was just thrown a basket of cold water, knocking Harry's head with his own.

"Ouch!" they both said, mirroring each other's move to bring a hand to their heads and rub their foreheads.

Harry stopped to look at Louis worriedly.

"Lou, are you okay?" he asked, not hiding the worry in his voice

"It's Louis for you" Louis replied, letting his hand fall to his side.

And ouch. It hurt even more than when Louis almost knocked him out two minutes ago.

Harry managed to roll his eyes and pretend to be unbothered, but he clearly was. It hurt like a bitch.

"Okay, Louis" Harry tried to sound annoyed but he didn't succeed, the concern was still clear in his voice "Are you okay?"

Louis sighed and nodded "Yes, I'm okay. Was just a bad dream"

Harry hesitated but when he saw Louis wiping dry tears off his face, he still asked "Do you want to talk about it?" gently but very unsurely

Louis looked up into Harry's eyes for the first time in a while and it felt like an electric shock all over Harry's body. In a good way. Was there even a good way for that? Harry didn't think so.

"No I don't" he answered after what could be considered too long

The look in Louis' eyes was telling Harry that he wanted to talk about it but was somewhat scared. Or maybe he wanted to talk about it but just not with Harry. Maybe he wanted to tell Evan.

"Okay" Harry nodded and laid back on the floor, pulling the duvet up to his neck, the room suddenly feeling too cold.

Harry heard Louis shift on the couch and sigh sharply. The shuffling lasted for at least ten minutes before it stopped entirely. The room turned dead silent, the sound of their breathing barely audible.

"Harry?" Louis' voice cut through the silence and through Harry's heart.

Harry freezed, startled by the softness of Louis' voice and the way he said his name. Harry pursed his lips, not knowing if he should answer. but it was Louis, so of course he answered.

"Yeah" he whispered back

Silence.

"Can you-" he started but cut himself off

"Can I?" Harry asked when he didn't hear him continue

"What. Forget it" Louis answered

And no, Harry wouldn't just forget it.

"Can I what?" Harry pressed "Louis, please tell me" he pleaded

But Louis didn't answer. Harry thought that maybe he fell back asleep, but a sharp intake of air proved him wrong.