Chapter 41

Percy POV

The good news was that the tunnel we went down was a straight shot, with no twists, turns, exits, nor did it end up diverging from the straight path. The bad news was that it was a dead end. This was definitely not good when something was chasing us or rather a few hundred somethings.

"Tyson, can you help me with this?" I asked my brother.

"Yes!" he said happily.

Together we punched through the wall with enough force to leave a thirty-foot wide opening. Everyone ran through, but the monsters were gaining on us. We were out of the labyrinth itself. With that, I threw Olethros as an ax into the maze and allowed it to use all the power I needed. I told everyone to move away from the maze entrance and tried to hide behind the wall.

Once I did, blue fire, plasma, and ice shot forth from the maze in a pressurized explosion of destruction. It was like a blue beam of light shot forth from the thirty-foot wide hole. It continued to shoot energy out for a few seconds before it began to slowly die down. I opened my hand, and Olethros flew back into it before turning it back into a coin.

"Okay, it's safe to move now," I told everyone.

Everyone moved from their spots on the wall and looked into the entrance. Patches of molten ice, it's a thing; believe it or not, that actually exists, blue lava, yellow lighting, and blue ice that looked like it had to be stolen from Antarctica were everywhere. It was like looking at a contradictory wasteland. Craters were on the ground, cracks on the walls, some of the tunnels were only piles of rubble and stone, it looked like a nuclear bomb went off, and all that was left was the contradicting things we were staring at. There were no entrances or turns left but only the chaos made from Olethros.

"What did you do?" Annabeth asked.

"I let all the powers of Olethros go off at the same time," I revealed. "I had to throw it a few dozen miles down the tunnel, or we would have all been destroyed by the blast."

"The initial blast was dozens of miles away?" Beckendorf asked in disbelief. "Can I please take a look at that thing when this quest is over?" he asked me, pointing to Olethros.

"I'll think about it," I told him.

"If you destroyed the labyrinth, how are we going to find Pan?" Grover asked.

"Give that thing a few minutes, and it will be back to normal. Daedalus made the labyrinth durable. It will fix itself in time for us to get back and when the coast is clear. Until then, we'll stay here," I told them.

"Where is here?" Silena asked.

We all looked at her and then tried to figure out our surroundings. We looked around and found ourselves in a cell. We were in a jail cell. We looked out the bars to see at least three stories of jail cells, each looking exactly the same.

"Prison. I'm in prison. Again," I muttered. "At least this time, I'm innocent. That has to count for something, right?"

"You've been to prison before?" Silena asked me in a whisper.

"I've been to prison-like thirteen times," I revealed.

"Why? Why did you go to prison so many times?"

"Weasel! It's because of that stupid weasel," I said with rage in my voice.

"Shh. Listen," Grover told us.

We did just that. We could hear a deep sobbing somewhere in prison. But it was combined with another voice; it was husky and deep. It spoke in an ancient language, but most of them couldn't make out what the voice was saying. I could. I wanted to leave; this was not good for us.