Chapter 38

Percy POV

The next day all I could think about was the call from the Underworld. Children of Hades, like any other child of the big three, are powerful. They could summon entire armies in seconds when they get old enough. While it is their domain, children of Hades are not encouraged to stay in their father's domain for longer periods. If you don't believe me, please, ask a therapist; is it really a good thing to stay in a place that is dark, depressed, filled with devastation, and occupied by dead people and see what they say.

The ghost was also a red flag. After living as long as I have, you notice that most heroes are not heroes. No, most of the better people in history are just the lesser of two evils. Lesser evil, more evil, evil is still evil. Worse or better, people throughout Greek mythology are just, for the most part, horrible, and some are more or less so compared to others. After a while, instead of just choosing the lesser of two evils, I stopped picking them altogether. But that ghost, this spirit was an evil, a cruel man of the likes rivaled the most tyrannical rulers the modern world has ever seen.

But what was worse was that this ghost was trying to convince a boy, who was his prince by right, on the way to bring the dead back to life. Life for life. It was an ancient law that existed even before the fates, but it was not supposed to be twisted in a way like this. The only gods who could even attempt to pull something like that off are Hades, the god of the dead, and Zeus, the king of the gods. (Technically, he wasn't really the king of the gods, and neither was Kronos, the king of the titans, but that's an argument for another day.)

It was draining to think about it. Even worse, the Apollo kids healing Silena said that the wounds were worse than they thought. While the cut didn't look too deep, and she didn't lose enough blood to make it difficult for them to save her, there was something they didn't predict. Poison, more specifically poison magic. Hard to detect but harder to deal with. The Apollo kids could reattach limbs; mine is not included since I cauterized my own wound and practically made it impossible for them to reattach the thing, but poisons made by the monsters of Hecate is a tall order, and Will Solace was working double-time to keep her stable just for five of his siblings to make small progressions in saving her.

When I heard her life was in more danger than they thought, it was safe to say I was angry, but mostly, I was desperate. I didn't want to leave her side and the only times I did were to vent my anger on something strong enough to take a punch from me at full force. Safe to say, I will be having to send a few thousand drachmas to camp for damage repairs. The times I was away, Beckendorf was there. He was there just as much as I was.

All this was swirling in my head when lunch came. I was sitting with my cabin at our table. I sacrificed some of my food to Poseidon and Athena and asked them to help me figure out what to do. While I was sitting, Chiron came over with Grover and volun-told, he pretended to volunteer but it was really like telling or ordering him, to sit down with me.

"Why did he do that?" I asked Grover as my siblings started doing a food fight. Little Margey, the daughter of Zeus that didn't get all Uno reverse card and joined Kronos, was sitting with us and playing with one of my sisters. It broke many, many rules, but you were an idiot if you tried to say that to what is currently the most powerful cabin in the camp.

"Chiron is trying to get you to convince me," Grover admitted.

"Convince you what exactly?" I asked. When I said that, someone else walked beside and sat down Annabeth.

"I'll tell you what this is about," she said. "The labyrinth."

"Annabeth, you aren't supposed to be here," I told her.