Chapter 5: New Students at Royal Officer Academy

"–With that said, they are Lux Acadia and Ryoga Fullbuster who will be attending this school from today. Everyone, there are probably many things which you aren't used to, but I hope you will get along with them."

The school building: second floor, second year's classroom morning. Receiving the introduction of the female instructor in charge of the class Raigree Balheart, Lux made an expression showing that he did not know what to say, while Ryoga had an annoyed expression and only thought about one thing.

"How in the heck did I end up here...?"

"Errr, I'm Lux Acadia. I hope to get along with you..."

"I'm Ryoga Fullbuster. Nice to meet some of you."

Small buzzing and whispering voices filled the classroom.

"Haa...I want to go home."

"...Ah. It's Lu-chan."

"–Eh?"

A pink-haired girl, who was in a seat on the window side of the classroom. Her fluffy hair was brought together with two ribbons, which properly suited the girl's absentminded atmosphere.

"Long time no see."

In a soft voice, the girl smiled at Lux.

"Errr, are you by any chance, Philphie...?"

"Yes, that's right."

"Oh, long time to see!"

"So you are attending this school. I'm glad. Please, take care of me, Lu-chan."

"Ah, yes. Likewise, take care of me."

When Ryoga looked at them, he thought.

"They must be childhood friends...must be nice."

As they exchanged greetings like this, the instructor Raigree pointed and said.

"Okay, Lux. Your seat is next to that child. Your seat is next to Krulcifrer, Ryoga."

"Fine..."

Lux was nervous, but as he sat down next to his childhood friend, he took a breath of relief for the first time. Ryoga on the other hand just sat on his seat. He then turned to his seatmate. Light blue eyes again met dark blue ones.

"This girl...so she was the one who noticed that I was watching the fight."

"Krulcifer Einfolk."

"Ryoga Fullbuster."

Ryoga then looked around the classroom, but he still could sense Krulcifer's gaze on him. On the other side of the class, while Lux loosened his cheek in relief, he looked at his childhood friend sitting nearby.

"But, we are in an age and position different from those seven years ago, we're in a classroom, so I should take that into consideration a little, shouldn't I?"

"Um, would it be better that I call you Philphie-san?"

The moment Lux said so, suddenly in a bad mood Philphie turned away with a serious look.

"Eh...?"

"But, I have a memory that it was rare that Philphie got angry about something, but–"

"It's Phi-chan, isn't it?"

"...Eh? Can I call you like that here!?"

Philphie affirmed as she nodded.

"N-Now that I think about it...!"

Lux remembered with cold sweat. Philphie had since olden days demanded a relationship where she and someone whom she took a liking to called each other by their nickname.