Chapter 02: Disorienting Fever, Impatient Man (1)

Start from the beginning

Walking into his study at this moment, the studious but cold Hong Manor's lord, Hong Moxue, calmly tapped his fingers on the door frame. He pulled up both his hands, the gray sleeves slipping down to reveal scarred arms and a braided brown heart knot bracelet strung with Buddhist beads. His palms came together as did the windows, closing in unison when his hands met. He frictions his fingers, snapping the window locks tight.

Light footsteps sounded from behind him.

"What is it?" Hearing that chilling voice, one could not help but pause and grasp their heart in fright, but nonetheless hide their panic. The man behind such a tone, without a heart to care, had every 'right' and all manner of power to take life effortlessly, without cause.

A male servant dressed in blue cautiously pulled out a scroll. Taking a step back and bowing his head, he respectfully spoke, "General Wan has arrived and is stirring up the dust, demanding for audience."

"Oh." Because he was already aware of the scroll's contents Hong Moxue stuffed the document into his sleeve. Due to the wind, the room was far messier than it had been, but he paid it no mind, walking towards his desk, avoiding the papers laying on the floor. "Ignore him. Without a shred of patience it would do him good to wait. Good practice will surely lead to less trouble and less trouble means less time wasted."

The servant selectively ignored the master's comment, trying his best to enact a tree's nature. No eyes to see and ears to hear. It was neither his place nor responsibility to tread upon his master's thoughts and give counsel. And if he did, ha, he still wishes to hold a wife in all its entirety.

While dreaming of spring dreams, unexpectedly he met his master's gaze. Those cold penetrating gray eyes nearly stopped the poor boy's heart and had him nearly stumble over himself. His master wanted him gone and if he did not comply, he truly would be 'gone'.

"This servant will inform General Wan." He overstayed his welcome and became fearful of the implications, cautiously leaving, nearly dashing out of the courtyard with the devil on his tail. Why, why! If his wayward thoughts became the noose of his dreams, his fellow brothers would surely laugh him into the grave before his master sent him there!

Hong Moxue disregarded the pitiful servant whose thoughts almost came true. In fact if he were a second late, a lingering breeze would have severed those dreams at the root. A lucky boy.

That's how Hong Moxue is, the cold hearted prime minister that did not bat an eye at blood and violence. Ever the heartless judicator of his royal highness, Emperor Jie. Many would agree, and even General Wan, that hardened veteran could not hold a candle to this bloodstained piece of ice. That day several decades ago still haunts the unlucky souls who had been there to witness.

Yet, how strange, what was this? A ripple had formed where none but the heavens could see.

Reaching out to close the sandalwood box, Hong Moxue pauses. A struggle creases those sharp brows, and as time passed, that well aged face like a fine wine further scrunched, dipping down scattering his long hair over his shoulders and hiding his expression. To offset the struggle the other hand grasps where his heart is, and eventually after ten long breaths worth of time, he releases a turbulent breath. He opens the box back up, grabbing for whatever was inside, and gently tucks it into his cloak's chest folds.

"Master." A man dressed in black soundlessly entered.

That hand tucked into his cloak jolts. Within several breaths a tremble shook those broad shoulders, then froze. That lowered head jumps up and those gray eyes pierced through the man, bloodshot and unstable.

Before the man could react, a hand reached for his throat and with a resounding 'bang,' slammed him into the wall.

"...........What." Hong Moxue squeezed out the word through his grinding teeth.

With a struggle to breathe, the man answers, gasping on his words. "Miss's life........"

Those hands wrapped around his throat lightly squeezed. In the next moment a shadow envelopes his vision, buzzing his mind into a daze. An unnerving 'pop' was the last sound he heard as the nameless man's neck snapped. His body tossed out of the study, smashing into the wall, and sliding down into a slump. A line of blood slips from his lips, staining the cold floor.

The dead man knew his life was expendable and further knew that today he would die. Another day another life, and today it was his turn. To say he had no grievances would be a lie, but those thoughts all died along with the person, this insignificant life that not a soul would mourn.

"Gugan, clean it up," ordered the murderer that no one would blame. He passed through the door, closing up the study and disregarding the mess left behind. Not a single glance was cast where the dead man had once been, vanishing from his place, with only a trace of blood left behind to signify he'd ever existed.

How much blood stains this residence? How many lives lost due to lack of restraint? Afraid only Hong Moxue knows this answer, but would he be willing to share? Perhaps, or perhaps not.

Just like its master, the residents here are not free from blame. Inaction is as guilty as action. And perhaps the heavens knew, striking more than one lightning bolt down in this residence, striking hearts and stirring up thoughts that only they themselves knew.

'Boom' another lightning strike struck within the Hong Manor, reaching near the bordering walls, right outside a grove of sycamore trees.

»»----- ✼ -----««

Kata's Corner: Due to the tid bit I wrote at the top of the chapter, I'd like to once again iterate, I adore, delight in, am simply besotted, and infatuated with world building, which this chapter is full of. Ah goodness me ~ I shall try my best to not to go too overboard, but, I make no promises. I have to build a foundation to paint how you perceive this universe of mine after all. And I do hope you like it.