Chapter 01: The Unyielding Mozen, a World Bearing Death (2)

Start from the beginning

No one can change Luo Luo's mind once stubbornness sets in... not her... not master and perhaps—– not even Shenghuo could. She pulled back her head, her eyes locked to the ceiling, forcing back all the tears left unshed to return, even if all they wished to do was drown her.

Once the burning headache set in, her eyes fell to her beak, and her beak fell to her heart. With a flick of her wing a cyclone of wind surrounds her body. Pulling into itself to be sucked into a void, the turbulent air vanished——– along with Shira inside.

As soon as Shira faded from her sight, left behind in the cold and empty courtyard, Mozen sank into her chair into a choking coughing fit. Harsher and harsher she hacked, inhaling as she rasped, wheezing on exhalation. This fit lasted for what felt like an eternity, simply refusing to stop, her back bent like reeds in the wind, ready to snap. With how terrible she sounded, snapping in two seemed all possible.

But slowly it calms down, painful wheezes with each breath, until they finally stop. She wipes her mouth with the back of her hand, clearing her throat several times before mustering up a few painful words.

"I've.....always loved the snow....such a good day...to die."

Mozen's hand falls to rest on the table, those eerily calm eyes flicker back towards the window and a creeping chill over takes the room, the chair's shadow stretching, looming behind her like a waiting gravestone.

There on the back of her hand glimmering in the light, is a red stain tarnishing her unhealthy skin vined in blackish blue veins. And on her neck, the black scaly complexion that was spreading to her clavicle, then suddenly, as if faced with an enemy, retreats back beyond her shoulder blade.

Mozen reached for that very spot and softly began to laugh.

Such a mournful laugh rasped with tears and pain, with a hint of something else that can't quite be grasped. Joy? Sorrow? Or perhaps both.

• • • •

Day had turned to night. The temperature had risen from frosty winter into scorching summer. A raging fire, the likes this world has never seen, had engulfed the Vermilion forest.

The wildlife frantically ran to escape the inferno, circling the forest for any way out. Whether they be landbearing or airborne, an invisible pair of hands caged the forest with an inescapable net, preventing neither insect nor beast from leaving its grasp.

Near the outer edge of trees bordering the Moondrop lake's main reservoir, was where Shira had retreated and rested upon a tall catalpa tree.

Her sight locked unwaveringly on the epicenter of fire. In her wing she gently strokes a blue pendant, her feathers trembling with each caress.

Suddenly and without the slightest bit of warning, a rush of air blasted past. It pushes the trees to a snapping point then pulls them forward.

Pop! Vibrations ricochet, the gust is forced back at an alarming speed. An explosion of blue fire plumes into a collapsing wave, ripping through the Vermilion forest with ease, toppling trees in its wake, turning beasts into ash, almost leveling the forest into flatland.

"Another one?!" Shira's disgruntled voice echoes into the night sky popping with ambers.

Flicking her wing forward, a light shoots out of her sleeve and a cloudy crystal ball appears, floating in mid air.

With a wave of her wing the fog dispersed and images of Mozen's clinic were revealed inside.

The abode surrounded in fire had yet to fully burn. The roof above the bedroom was missing by more than half, the rest of which was steadily burning.