Chapter 50: Working It Out

Start from the beginning

He puts a single finger to his lips and he waves you on

He puts a single finger to his lips and he waves you on. You follow him quietly, still in awe of how light-footed he can be. You come to your usual clearing to see something you've only seen once before in life:

"Ohmigod!" you whisper, you both crouching behind the log you usually train on.

"Should we just..." He shrugs.

"No!" you whisper. "It-"

"Was here first?" you both say.

"Yeah," Brock smiles at you, and covers your hand with his own.

You feel a wave of warmth flow over you, having shared this with someone, and then a tinge of sadness wishing it was Henry

"Bella?" You gasp at the sound of Henry's voice. He is still in Witcher gear.

He comes into view with a leash. "Ah, Gale is going out of his mind looking for you. I had a feeling you would find this spot." He eased closer as the deer looked up at him. He crouches near her and lets her keep drinking. "Someone else should be here, Bella. Have you seen a long-haired chap with a terribly cute girl?"

You watch him reach for the deer and gently lasso it, and your heart melts at his gentleness, the softness of his features even though he is in Witcher makeup.

You rise from your hiding place. "Hey."

"Hey, I was wondering where you were," he smiles, and you suddenly feel as if you hadn't lost this moment. "This is Bella."

"We saw the deer and didn't want to disturb it," Brock says, rising also. You were three feet apart.

Henry's eyebrow quirks but then he breaks into a boyish grin. "Thanks for that. If you would have spooked her, she might have run further off." After formally introducing us to the doe, he said, "I'll get her back to Gale now. See you soon." He nods to us both and leaves.

You and Brock start stretching right away. You're a bit behind schedule. There was no water workout today, you both decided to stick to land. Brock brought a tire. You'd done tire workouts before. Ugh.

After flipping it, rolling that thing back and forth, pushing it and doing full body extensions in the process, Brock smiles and says you're warmed up. You're sweating, but felt relieved that you were back to the tree, which was something you didn't look forward to at one time.

Just as you jump up on the tree, you hear steps. You look at Brock. He hears them too.

"Mind-" Henry smiles. "mind if I join you?"

You are surprised, but Brock looks unaffected. "Hey, the more, the better."

He launches Henry into a tire workout, but he stays with you on the tree. You are doing your usual routine and Henry is slowing and watching you. He always seemed to like watching you work out.

Henry finally gets on the tree with you and does the workout relatively well. His balance could be better, but he would have to raise his center, you realize.

"Can you squat?" Brock asks. "On the tree?"

He plants his legs firmly and squats. "Wanna try?" He pauses. "Babe?"

You watch him. "What?"

"Trust me?"

Oh, he's got to be kidding! He—

"Darling?"

You walk to him with ease and you climb him slowly. His hold is sure and tight as he spreads you across his hips and squats.

"Dayum!" Brock's eyes go wide. "Very smooth!"

He squats with you and you look in his eyes. He is concentrating, he is balancing, you feel his muscles flex and syncopate, his arms holding you as you hold on to him. He is determined not to let you fall. You trust him so deeply. You love him so deeply. You will trust him, you tell yourself. You have to.

It's too late

It's too late.

He holds your heart anyway.