16. Motives Revealed

Start from the beginning

Mercury places a hand on his chin as he thinks.

Mercury: Hm, it's almost like....he wanted you to get caught.

Emerald: But why would he? Unless he just doesn't like me.

Mercury: I don't think he needs a reason to hate us. He's a Grimm, remember? But I think he has something in mind for you.

Emerald raises an eyebrow.

Meanwhile, inside the medbay of the Mimaran cruiser, Cinder is laying on a bed with barely opened eyes. She's staring up at the roof like she's in a trance caused by the shock of loosing her hand the other day. Eventually, she moves her head as she starts to exit her trance and looks at her hands. The hand that should be missing has actually been reconnected to her arm and is wrapped in bandages. Cinder sighs in relief that she didn't permanently lose it. She looks over at the entrance and sees several Mimaran soldiers standing there with their rifles on hand and bayonets equipped. They are more than ready to kill her if she pulls something. Cinder sighs before suddenly hearing a voice next to her.

Amber: Feeling.... better?

Cinder's eyes widen as she looks to her other side and sees the Fall Maiden, Amber laying in the medical bed next to her. Amber had all sorts of medical equipment hooked up to her in order to keep her alive. Despite that, Amber simply smirks.

Cinder: You....

Amber: Funny to find you of all people in the same room as me.

Cinder: Funny....

Cinder sits up with an angered and murderous expression. Her target is right there, she could finish the job. But as Cinder raised her uninjured arm, she hears multiple safeties click from the Mimaran rifles. Cinder lowers her arm.

Amber: I'm not as defenseless as last time, Cinder.

Cinder: ..... How are you even awake?

Amber smirks again as she closes her eyes.

Amber: Mimaran medical science is quite advanced that they could force me out of the coma you put me in. But if you're worried that I'll live now that I'm awake.... well, I'm still going to die soon. So you'll get your maiden powers one way or another.

Cinder raises an eyebrow. The Fall maiden appears awfully content with the fact that she's going to die. How odd.

The two hear the medbay doors open and they see Elise walking in. Cinder furrows her brows at the Mimaran as Elise approaches the two medical beds.

Elise: I trust you two are feeling somewhat better, given your circumstances.

Amber nods while Cinder rubs her injured hand's wrappings.

Cinder: Why am I still alive, Queen Elise?

Elise: I need a Fall Maiden for something. But I don't want either of you to die to accomplish my goal.

Cinder raises an eyebrow.

Cinder: What goal?

Elise: I doubt Salem told you this yet, but each Maiden is a key to one of the four Vaults in the Academies. Spring for the Haven Vault, Winter for the Atlas Vault, Summer for the Shade Vault, and Fall for the Beacon Vault.

Cinder: And you want the Relic inside the Beacon Vault?

Elise: Ah, so you do know about the Relics. Yes, I want the Relic of Choice. And you are my key inside the vault.

Cinder crosses her arms and scoffs.

Cinder: And why would I help you? What's in it for me?

Elise: I won't have you killed for being responsible for the deaths of multiple Mimaran citizens as well as Atlesian and Valean citizens.